Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

How Fine! Ian is 9!!!

 
My little boy is not so little anymore.  Ian is now officially 9 years old.  This is the last year ever being a single digit.  Each year that goes by I get more impressed with Ian.  He has shown such maturity, sound judgement, good instincts, and the ability to think on his feet.   He lives in a constant struggle between loving and adoring his little sister while also being annoyed and frustrated by her.  You just don't know which way she is going to roll and Ian keeps coming back for more hoping for a positive outcome.  No matter how much Sam annoys Ian, he refuses to give up caring for his sister.

Jeff and I have given Ian quite a bit of freedom in allowing him to stay home by himself for small amounts of time.  He will get his homework done while on his own, read a book or watch tv.  I have no problem trusting Ian to not get into trouble or do something he shouldn't. 

Ian's sense of humor cracks me up.  He comes out with these one-liners that are hilarious and so perfect for the moment.  The other morning when we were at the dentist, Ian was saying how he didn't want to be there.  The hygienist was attempting to explain how there are many kids who don't get the chance to go to the dentist.  Ian replied with, "They are the lucky ones."

Whenever Ian is about to be honest and tell me something he thinks I'm not going to like, he starts off every thought with this, "I'm sorry to say this but...."  I love how he apologizes first and then lets me have it.  :)

Ian will eat almost anything. He truly has broadened his horizons and is quick to try a bite of anything offered to him. His new favorite foods are lox, bacon and cheeseburgers.  He can make breakfast himself and has learned how to bacon and eggs.

There have been many instances (more than I care to count or even remember) when Ian is beyond grumpy and cranky.  I believe he is going through some kind of growth spurt and growing pains are kicking in. For the most part Ian is cheery and still always has a smile on his face.

You could not ask for a better friend than Ian.  He is very loyal and often helps stand up to kids who are being mean to his friends.  He will not back down if he feels they are being unfair.

First day of 3rd grade.  Ian LOVES school!
Ian loves to practice his religious songs/prayers and breaks into tune at a random moments throughout every day.  I don't think Ian even realizes he is singing.  Another cool thing is how much he loves to read!  He will soar through books at a crazy pace. 

With Jeff's long hours at the office, Ian has stepped up and is doing more chores.  My heart melts each time he seeks me out and asks what he can do to help.  His teacher at school is a big fan of his too and wrote on his latest interim report, "Ian is nearly perfect."   Wow.  I agree! 

Ian has a big fear of heights.  He very badly wants to conquer it and thinks he can, but then he gets to a certain point and freezes.   Once he gets to this point, there is no talking him into continuing on.  He is done and wants out.

Ian's favorite television is watching sports, all shows on the Food Network and the Survivor Man series.  He has really gotten good at catching a ball and throwing it.  I discovered Ian enjoys playing tennis and we've been periodically playing on the tennis courts behind our house.  So much fun!   Ian is still doing gymnastics and has expressed interest in playing football in the Fall.  I am not sure I am ready for that! 

 
Jeff and Ian doing a boys trip for Spring Training.
 
This June Ian is going to sleepaway camp for 12 days.  It was a decision he had a difficult time making.  At first he was dead set against being gone for that long.  After a few months, he had a change of heart and decided to go for it.  This time away will either make it or break it for Ian in future Summers attending sleepaway camp.

I wish for Ian an amazing year creating magical moments, continuing growth into a fabulous young man, with lots of love and laughter.  Happy birthday!  I love you more than you can ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment