Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Jeff's new gig

A couple of months ago, my husband was contacted with a job opportunity too good to pass up.  After much research and thinking on Jeff's part to make sure he was making the right choice, he started working for this new company on May 5th.  They are based in Boston, but have a Washington, D.C. office.  It's all very exciting and I know Jeff will do amazing in this new position.

I am still trying to get used to Jeff's new work schedule.  He is giving this job everything he's got.  He leaves for work by 6:35am in the mornings and doesn't usually get home until 8:00pmish.  It makes for a long day for him, me and the kids. The past few weeks have been challenging.  I am sure in a few months he will have gotten in a groove and make having dinner with the family a regular thing again. 

The biggest change for me is not hearing from him throughout the day.  Since we met over 11 years ago, Jeff has always called or texted to see how my day is going.  We usually spoke at least once, sometimes twice each day.  Now, I don't hear from Jeff at all. It is so weird.  Something I am not getting used to.

Until the dust settles and Jeff can get his head above water, I am single mothering it.  I meet my friend each morning at 5:15am to walk. I get back home at 6:30am before Jeff leaves for work.  I get the kids to school, work my part-time jobs, handle all after-school activities with the kids and make us dinner, while keeping Jeff's warm in the oven. I then work on getting Sam down to bed.  It makes for a very long day.  A huge round of cheers for moms (or dads) who do this by themselves all the time, since day one.  It's not easy.

I am not complaining.  I am just stating things the way they are.  Its our new normal.  Just need to get used to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment