Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Down they go...

Ian has named him "Beary". He is white, soft and about half the size of Ian. "Beary" is the stuffed animal his school (or better known as camp if you are attending during the month of June) gives to kids who get hurt and need a little extra TLC. Apparently Ian was the recipient of such a gesture today.

I discovered this oversized bear in Ian's cubby when picking him up at the end of lunch bunch. Both Sam and I were surprised to see such a thing coming out of his cubby as it took up the entire space. I inquired who this new addition was and why did we get so lucky to have it. The teacher who stayed to run the lunch bunch group explained that Ian fell down and this bear was given to him to make him feel better. He can take the bear home and bring him back to camp tomorrow.

Since I could visibly see that Ian was ok and nothing seemed broken or required a band-aid (plus, I know the school well enough to know they would immediately call me if such was the case), I asked how this fall happened. Ms. Dori fell on Ian and Mitchell (a boy a little older than Ian) fell on Ms. Dori. So if I am doing the math correctly, Ian had about 250 pounds (if not more!) on top of him at one point during the day. All I could think of was, "Ian, were you able to breathe?" His answer was, "A little." Then he added, "Eliza put my helmet back for me." I am guessing that Ian was on his way to put his helmet back and this domino effect of bodies falling on my son happened. It was very sweet of Eliza to complete Ian's task.

My husband says that I laugh at the most inappropriate times. There must be something wired in me a little different than the normal, compassionate person next to me, but harmless injuries, slips and falls can bring tears to my eyes (from laughing so hard) just even thinking about it, much less witnessing it.

Picturing the events of today (and fortunately no one was hurt) has been the best laugh I've had in a long time. I know, this is soooooo wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment