Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!

When Jeff and I first started dating he asked me an interesting question. He wanted me to put in order of importance the holidays we would be exchanging presents. He wanted to make sure he knew when which days he had to make a big deal out of. Smart man. This was a no-brainer in my mind. Valentine's day and Hanukkah are days that have become so commercialized and lost their true meaning. Plus, everyone can celebrate these, so it really doesn't make it that special. Anniversaries are good because its just about you two and the day you got married. But birthdays are the best, because it is all about you!!

I absolutely love making a big deal out of other people's birthdays and love it when people recognize my birthday. All day long I am walking around feeling like I've got a huge secret and want to shout "HEY, DON'T YOU KNOW???? IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!"

My day has started off with a bang and I had the most amazing workout at the gym this morning. I pushed myself beyond all previous limits and it felt wonderful. I then came back home and gave Bailey his 30 minute walk. Jeff and the kids sang me happy birthday.

With an extra bounce in my step, I am getting a new 'do' while Ian is at camp. It used to be that when I'd get restless with my look, I'd take on a new color. Without hesitation I would become a blond one day or a redhead the next. Ah, back in the single days when it would be possible to keep up the look and get it colored regularly. Now my idea of changing things up is taking the plunge and getting bangs. Every time I cut bangs into my hair, I instantly want to grow them out again. So let's get that process started as soon as possible.

This evening we are going out to dinner to Rio Grande. It's my birthday and therefore my choice. I may even splurge afterwards and get my favorite sundae at Friendly's on the way home. The Reese's peanut butter cup sundae has a hold of my heart. I enjoy this better than anything Cold Stone or Dairy Queen has to offer.

And in a few weeks, rockclimbing is the activity I've chosen to do with the girls to celebrate my day. We are going to a nearby indoor rockclimbing gym. I am looking forward to doing something challenging and different. I've always picked going to a movie and dinner, so I am expanding our horizons and taking us to new heights -- literally!

The phone has been ringing off the hook with family and friends calling. Facebook has added a new high tech method of wishing someone a happy birthday. It's fun getting and reading the birthday messages.

I've got a smile on my face that won't seem to leave. All is right with the world and I am enjoying today. I am even proud to say that I am 38! I only hope in another 38 years I feel as good as I do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment