Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

You can never have too many

Less than a month ago, Ian celebrated his birthday and was showered with presents by his family and friends. The other day we were in the car discussing what we could do to make Father's day special for daddy today. After tossing around a few ideas, Ian then asks "When is it going to be Kid's day? Because I could sure use a new toy."

All my life I've been surrounded by amazing fathers. My first experience came from my own father, Jeff Mazer. No topic was off limits on what we would discuss and time and time again, he came through on always being there for me. I never questioned who would be the first parent to show up if they needed to come to our rescue. My dad may think he has a tough exterior, but my two sisters and I know that he is a huge softie in the inside. He is the first one to go to bat for us and will not stop checking in if something or someone is causing you pain. My dad has a wonderfully wicked sense of humor and enjoys a good laugh. He gave me my first American Express Card (age 15!) and will do his best to give you the moon if that is what you desire. I couldn't have asked for a better childhood and half of that is due to my dad being my father.

About 6 years ago, another father came into my life and that is my father-in-law, Harold Toppall. The love Dad Toppall has for his family runs deep. I've seen his sensitive side and his ability to tell a story that keeps you interested until the end. Dad Toppall is an incredibly warm and caring man and makes you feel like you've always been a part of the family. You don't just marry the guy, you get the whole kit and caboodle, I got very lucky.

My husband is the latest version of what it means to be a father. I've never seen a more passionate or proud daddy when it comes to his kids. When he is spending time with Ian and Sam, he gives 200% of himself and nothing else in the world going on at the moment matters. He is a big kid at heart and wants more than anything to do the best by them. Jeff has achieved a great work-life balance and makes sure he is home each night to have dinner as a family and put the kids to bed. As Forrest Gump says in the movie, "Mama said life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what your going to get." I had no idea what kind of father Jeff would be and my expectations have been far, far exceeded. He is good guy through and through and an excellent father. If anything ever happened to me, I know the kids will do well being raised by their father. However, I hope for Samantha's sake, she would know how to dress herself by then, because Jeff has this knack for putting all her clothes on backwards and not realizing anything is wrong.

Happy Father's day to all the amazing dads. I feel fortunate to have you in my life and love you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment