Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The downside of turning 4

Ian & the dentist. Ian & trimming his finger and toe nails. Ian & getting his head wet while swimming. Combos you don't mess with or willingly go near with a 10 foot poll. And now, we can add Ian & 4 shots at the doctor to the list. It wasn't pretty and a day I can't wait to block out of my mind.

We did everything right in preparing "The loud one". We brought Gymbo (his lovey) and a bag filled with m&m's, chocolate chip cookies and lollipops. In addition, the doctor's office is strategically located right above a Ben & Jerry's. For days prior I prepped him what was going to happen and each time we discussed it, his outburst got less and less. By the time the appointment was going to occur, he was more than ready and even had places picked out on his arm for the needles to go through. The only stipulation he had was, whatever you do, do not give him a flu shot. He still reminisces about how much that hurt from back in November.

We went in to the doctor's with smiles on our faces and left with every parent in the waiting room happy they don't belong to this newly 4 year old.

It went pretty much as I expected. Ian is D-O-N-E with going to the doctor ever again. NO MORE SHOTS FOR HIM EVER!!!!! Ice cream at Ben & Jerrys and a big chocolate chip cookie did very little to the soothe the pain of 3 shots and a major finger prick filling up a little straw tube of blood.

Ian had a band-aid covering a scrape on his elbow. When he realized he was getting 4 more band-aids covering all the new needle pricks, he very loudly said, "I don't want any more boo-boos. I only want the one I have. I don't need any more."

He is not a happy camper and I suspect I will now be hearing about it for months and months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment