Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

A big thumbs up.

I love the movies. In high school and college, I worked at a movie theatre. I even had a pair of parakeets named "Siskel and Ebert". The only thing I miss in life by having kids is the ability to go to a movie any time I want or as much as I want.

I owe a huge part of this love and admiration of the movies to John Hughes. His death is affecting me more than Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett ever could. I was the perfect age when his movies came out in the 80's to experience them on the big screen as a first run. He had one amazing hit after another. He understood teenagers, the popular ones as well as the nerdy ones and the outcasts. Teen love, teen crushes, teen angst. All of it. He knew what it was like to be A Brain. A Recluse. A Jock. A Rebel. A Princess. Who wouldn't want to spend 8 hours on a Saturday in detention with these kids? He made you appreciate Jake Ryan getting back your panties for you. John Hughes got it. He wrote brilliantly and has some of the best movies lines ever quoted. "Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?" "What's-a-happening hot stuff?" "Just answer the question Claire." "Donger's here for 5 hours and he's got somebody. I'm here my whole life and I am like a disease." "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop look and around once in a while, you could miss it." And, there are hundreds more I could include.

Just a few weeks ago I quoted "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" to my husband on the phone upon hearing that him and Ben were sharing a bed in Lake Tahoe. "Where's your hand?" "In between two pillows." "THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!"

I couldn't wait to introduce my sister Meghan to his movies. Maybe I did start a little young when she was only 10 and asked "What is a nymphomaniac?" after watching "The Breakfast Club" with me. I think I'll wait a few extra years when playing his movies for my kids.

I know death happens and is a part of the life cycle. So I am trying to figure out why this is affecting me so. Is it because he was only 59? And had so many more years left to produce the sequels I've been so desperately wanting and waiting for? What happened to Ferris Bueller? Did him and Sloan really get married? Did Ferris ever grow up and get a job? What happened to Jake Ryan and Samantha after they leaned over the birthday cake and kissed? And did Blaine's friends finally accept him after he chose Andie at prom?

Ah, John Hughes was a good man and will definitely be missed. Thank you John for getting my love of the movies off to a most excellent start.

SIDE NOTE: this website was discovered by a friend of a FB friend and I think it adds a wonderful inside look to the man that was John Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment