Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

R.I.P. Pasta

I am not a happy camper right now. I need a few days to digest (no pun intended!) what is going on and come to terms with it. I believe I've been given the diagnosis of having Celiac Disease. Ugh!! To anyone not familiar with what Celiac is, here is an informative link that will answer all your questions. Celiac Disease

My GI doctor's office called and said the pathology report from the biopsy is in and it appears my malabsorption of nutrients is due to Celiac. They would like me to have a blood test to confirm the results as my small intestine was a little too inflamed to be 100% conclusive. Freakin' Fanstastic. Good-bye pizza, good-bye pasta, good-bye popcorn. Good-bye to anything I think tastes good. My life as I've known it is over.

Fortunately my follow-up appointment with the doctor is not until September. So I still have a little more than a month to enjoy food before it becomes something solely eaten for sustenance. For the time being, I am going to live in denial and savor each bite of wheat, grain and gluten.

I realize in the big scheme of things, this is not the end of the world. I know there are people who suffer from much, much worse and would probably welcome the opportunity to only have to deal with something minor like Celiac. But, this is the end of MY world. I enjoy eating pasta and popcorn more than the average person; actually probably more than the average family combined. And getting gluten-free versions is not going to be the same. It will take advance planning, major effort and just not a whole lot of fun. But if it means that my body will function the way it is intended and help ward off more serious ailments, then it will be worth it. Right? Right. At least I keep telling myself that. Got to wrap this up, my bagel just popped out of the toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment