Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A big shoe no-no

I tried so hard to be hip and fashionable.  Jeff's company holiday party was the Friday night after we returned home from FL.  The invite called for cocktail attire and since I had nothing to wear, I went shopping online and found myself some very pretty dresses.  Of course, I needed The Girl's help in deciding which dress was The One or not. I got lucky and was able to show 3 of The Girls the dress choices, all in the same evening, a few weeks before the party.  The Girls were pretty unanimous in their enthusiasm for this one particular black, satin dress and even suggested some cool looking shoes I should wear with it.  I loved their suggestion and spent my final days in town looking for the red patent leather heels they spoke of. 


Ha!  Have you tried to go shoe shopping for red patent leather heels lately?  Let me tell you, they are out there and there are plenty to chose from.  However, they are all 4 inches or higher in heel height.  I couldn't find a smaller heel height anywhere and believe me I looked!  I ended up going with a pair that seemed to meet all my needs - they were the right style, the right size and not such a bad price.  I tried them on quickly (I had Sam with me) and decided to go for it.

The night of the party came and I was excited by my outfit.  I felt totally put together.  Upon walking in the room of where the party was located, I saw lots of women wearing a black dress and red heels.  Too cool! I've never been one to have this much "of the moment" style going on.  Heck, it could've been the style for a few years now and I am just catching on.  Either way, I felt stylish!  Jeff commented that he has never seen me at this height before.  Ha!  I've never seen me at this height either.

There was one small glitch.  Or in my opinion, a major problem.  I couldn't walk.  Literally, I couldn't take a step and look normal doing it.  My feet were so ridiculously uncomfortable that I was in big trouble!  I was hoping at some point my foot would just go numb and then I could resume normal activities.  But no, this was such not the case.  I started looking at other women's feet and had shoe envy for those wearing comfortable looking flats.  Why, oh why did I do this to myself?  What in the world was I thinking that I could pull this off?

Jeff could tell something was up and asked why it looked like I didn't know how to walk anymore.  Then he asked if I even tried them on in the store, why would I get them if they hurt so much?  Hello?  Have you ever tried going shoe shopping with a 2 year old?  You find shoes in your size, you try them on as quickly as possible and you get them.  I thought for sure after 30 minutes or so, they would be broken in and feel more comfortable.

I don't know how women wear heels so high.  I am making a pledge right now that I will never go down this path again.  It is so not worth the pain.