Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Winter break survival guide on going crazy

We are in the midst of Winter break for the kids. 4 weekdays down, 7 more weekdays to go.  I've been keeping count based on Sam's schedule.  Ian for the most part is wonderful to be around.  However, don't get me wrong, Ian can still be incredibly volatile from time to time and it is not pretty when the nastiness rears its ugly head.

I realize that during a good week, I only have Sam in preschool 2 days a week.  Most weeks it seems like Sam only has school one day a week, due to the endless Jewish holidays and other schedules the preschool follows.  Just before Winter break, Sam gave up her nap and that was my cue I could leave her at the school one additional hour for lunch bunch. So technically, in the best of situations, Sam and I have a break from each other for 4 hours, 2 times a week.  You would think with so little time apart from each other normally, her having a Winter break 11 weekdays long wouldn't be so bad. Oh, to be so wrong.

I absolutely love my daughter and wouldn't trade her in for anything, but if they had a boarding school option for 2 year olds, I think I'd have to consider it as an option.   Sam is incredibly headstrong and needs everything to be done her way.  And if things aren't going her way, the whining kicks in full force.  It's this combo that is doing me in.  At one point on Friday I hit my breaking point and decided that when school was back in session, Sam was getting signed up for all 4 days they offered her age group.  Sam's teachers absolutely love her and can not grasp any of this when I ask them who wants to take her home with them that day.  :)

Throw in the fact that Sam has decided she doesn't need to nap anymore.  Believe me, she still does! It wouldn't be so bad if she made up for the lack of nap by sleeping longer at night, but no. Sam is living la vida loca and starts the day out cranky and just gets crankier as the hours wear on.  The other day she woke up at 4:20am and stayed awake the whole day.  We were able to put her down for the night at 6:30pm, however, after 3 hours, she was back up and ready to party until 1:00am.  Sam has been regularly waking-up well before 6:00am each day and the madness begins all over again.  Wash, rinse, repeat, it is a vicious cycle and a pattern we can't seem to break.

Sam's new thing is to do a multi-tasking combo of scream/throw something when she is making her point.  "NO, I DON'T WANT MILK IN AN ORANGE CUP EITHER" while throwing a full (heavy) cup of milk at the floor.  Or, "I WANT APPLE JACKS IN THE PINK BOWL EITHER" while throwing a bowl full of cereal at the floor.  Of course, the lesson has been learned from well before this, and both items make very little mess.  The cup of milk is in a closed container (straw cup) and the cereal is dry with no milk.  Yesterday we were at the bowling alley for lunch and to play a few games.  I asked Sam, "would you like chicken tenders or a hot dog?"  She picked a hot dog.  The hot dog came and she refused to eat it.  The hot dog (in full) got thrown on the floor.  "NO, I DON'T WANT A HOT DOG EITHER." The 5 second rule doesn't apply to bowling alleys.  Eww!  Sam's lunch consisted of french fries and popcorn.  Lovely.  This goes on all day long.

I'm not really going to increase Sam's preschool frequency.  I feel like that would be quitting and I don't quit. It's much more fun to dream about the possibility of it.  I  know that eventually Sam will outgrow this stage.  Heck, I may become a stronger person for having survived.  You know the saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes your stronger."

Plus, when Sam is in a good mood and happy, she is the sweetest, most caring, and loving little girl to be around.  Dealing with the typical two year old attitude is bearable for the few times I get to see her other side.

And so the countdown continues, just 7 more weekdays and life can resume back to normal.  Until then, it's best to stay out of our way.  Because if Sam is not a happy camper, then I am not either.

1 comment:

  1. sorry you're having such a rough time! hope it gets better...SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete