Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Chatterbox

Ian talks non-stop.  He doesn't stop when he is at the kid's club at the gym ("I just love listening to Ian speak", the childcare worker reports back to me).  He doesn't stop when he is around other parents ("Wow, Ian speaks so clearly",  I'll hear from the fellow moms).  And, he doesn't stop when he is in the house just hanging out.  I'll be walking by him when he is in the middle of a wii game, Ian will pause the game and say to me, "You know, the water is 45 degrees when the contestants fall in on Wipeout."  Or, "It's going to be ladies night on Minute It To Win It tonight."

When I drop Ian off at school each day, he is quick to converse with whoever is standing next to him in line waiting for the teacher to come collect them. 

Ian is never at a loss for words and will strike up a conversation about anything to anyone.  It's all day and all evening, right up until he goes to sleep each night.

SO you can imagine Jeff's and my surprise when we had the following conversation with Ian at dinner one night:

Me: Ian, have you ever gotten a red card at school?  (Red cards are given for bad behavior, green cards are for good behavior.  I had just heard of a child in Ian's class getting some red cards and it made me wonder if Ian had gotten any).

Ian:  No, I only have all green cards and one purple card.

Me:  Green cards?  That's great.  How did you earn them?

Ian:  Because I am so quiet in class.

At this point, Jeff and I looked at each other and our mouths dropped open.  Ian telling us he is quiet at school was the last thing we thought occurred during his short day at kindergarten.   Wow, now that was a surprise.  Really?  Really. I am still in shock. 

What wasn't a surprise was finding out how Ian got the one purple card he was given.  It was because he was extra helpful.  Way to go Ian!

No comments:

Post a Comment