Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Shining Light

Last week, Ian had a SPECTACULAR 7 days.  To say that I am proud would be a very big understatement.  Allow me to kvell (Yiddish for: be extraordinarily proud, delighted) a little.

Because we live so close to the school, Ian doesn't get the chance to ride the bus.  Every day, I drop Ian off and then come back at the end of the school day and pick him up.  Ian had a playdate scheduled with one of his classmates, Eric and had the opportunity to take the bus home with him.  Whoa baby!  This was new terrirtory for us and I was nervous about Ian taking this big step on his own.  I briefly debated following the bus and making sure Ian got on and off at the appropriate places, but I trust Ian and wanted him to know it.  I told Ian that I'd like him to call me as soon as he got to Eric's house.  I was like a girl waiting for a boy she liked to call looking at the phone, willing it to ring.  Within 5 minutes of the expected time, Ian called!  I was so proud of him having this responsibility and rising to the occasion. 

The same day I found out that Ian was going to come home with report cards.  OMG!  I had no idea they give report cards (progress reports) in kindergarten.  And to think this was the one day I wouldn't be seeing him until 5:00pm when it was time to pick him up from Eric's house.   More anxious waiting on my part!

Ian's report card was exactly where I hoped it to be.  I am proud of my son for taking school seriously and not using it as an excuse for a 3 hour playdate (2 hours on Mondays). 

The next night, we were eating dinner and I made a dish of baked chicken over angel hair pasta.  It had a mushroom sauce on top of it and we served it to both kids.  Ian ate a few bites and said it was delicious.  I told Ian, what he was eating was called a mushroom sauce so that he knows now he likes that.  His reply was one that brought tears to my eyes.  "I'd like to try musrooms now."  Wow.   

And the other big news happened when getting to volunteer in Ian's class for their Valentine's day party on Friday.  I had been wanting to go into Ian's class for some time now and it seemed like an exclusive club of mommies that were allowed and I didn't have membership.  Finally I got in!  I showed up and stood in the back of the class until the teacher was ready for the volunteers to help the kids read their valentines.  I could see Ian, but he didn't know I had arrived yet.  The teacher was reading the kids a story and a minute or two goes by and Ian raises his hand and paitently waits for the teacher to call him.  "I lost my tooth", Ian says!  Everyone starts cheering and yelling, "Yay!"

I got to be there for it!  It was very exciting.  This now makes me want to be present for all of Ian's teeth when they fall out. I just need to be prepared to lurk in the background of Ian's class, religious school, birthday parties, sporting events, etc whenever his tooth is very loose.  Now, here was the super cool part of his tooth falling out when it did.  The kids just got done writing in their journals about losing teeth.  I kid you not!  How is that for timing!?!?!?

And, can I say the Valentine's day party at the school was very fun and I loved getting to see all the kids interact.  I have a feeling that the exclusive mommy club that ALWAYS volunteers in the class better be prepared for one more member.  
Ian's Valentine Day Mailbox in action!

Ian reading his Valentine's Day cards
The icing on the cake was when Ian was named the "Superstar Student" of the day, earlier in the week.  Woo-hoo!!


In addition to all of the above, Ian has been extra fabulous on the day to day dealing with Samantha and her many, many meltdowns.  He is so paitent with her and does what he can to calm her down.

Yet, there's more!  On Saturday, Ian had his last session of basketball.  He is one of 45 kindergarteners and first graders learning the basics and playing a very rudimentary game.  Ian is either the shortest or one of the shortest in his group.  He is definitely at a disadvantage when it came time to practice playing the game; no one gave Ian a chance with the ball.  That is, until the last game this past Saturday.  Ian got to do it all!  He passed the ball to another kid one time, another time a different kid passed the ball to him, and Ian also got to try making a basket.  He hit the rim.

I love the little person my big boy is becoming.  He is my shining light and it is getting brighter every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment