Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's all good

It has been brought to my attention that my previous blog about Samantha "I do it myself!" was a little on the harsh, aggressive side demonstrating how feisty she can be.  In fairness, it is not all chaos and mayhem with the youngest Toppall team player, and I feel the need to even out the score card a little.

When she wakes up ridiculously early in the morning (we let her out of the room starting at 5:00am), we bring her into our bed and attempt to get a few more minutes of sleep before our day has to officially begin.  Sam will curl up right next to and literally mold her body to mine.  She somehow fills herself in all my nooks and crannies and we lay like that for a good 25 to 30 minutes.  She loves to cuddle and it is very sweet to have her quiet, still and feel her warm body next to mine.  Other than it being an obscene hour in the morning that she has woken up, it is a wonderful way to spend time with her.  I can't help but the start the day on a good foot with her when she is like this.

Every now and then Sam will ask me if I am alright.  "Are you ok Mommy?"  I am not sure what I am projecting (either physically or mentally) that is giving her an indication I might not be ok, but it is one of the most considerate things about her.  She is genuinely worried and concerned about Jeff, Ian and me.  If Ian is upset or hurt in anyway, Sam will comment and say, "Ian crying.  Ian not happy.  Ian need tissue."   And, when Jeff is getting dressed in the morning, she makes certain he remembers everything he needs to put on.    "Daddy put pants on?"  "Time for belt Daddy."

Sam loves to draw.  She'll work on a picture for a good 10 minutes and then excitedly take the paper and run to me saying, "I made this for your Mommy.  A present for you."  She gets a big kick out of putting her artwork on the fridge and hanging her drawings with magnets. 

Another favorite activity of Sam's is to take care of her baby dolls.  My mom got her this one doll that pretends it is sick.  It coughs, sneezes and you can take its temperature.  Sam is an excellent caregiver and makes sure the doll doesn't have a fever. She'll wipe its nose, put it down for a nap.  Tuck the dolly in under the covers and read it a bedtime story.  The cutest thing is to listen to her "read" her doll a story.  It usually starts with "Once upon a time"...then she'll flip through some pages and go, "the end."  Sam will ask me to turn on the white noise machine, turn off the light and put up the gate for her doll's nap.  This usually occurs at least once a day.  As Sam leaves the room, she'll look at me and whisper, "Time for baby's nap.  Shhhhh."  Or, "Baby has fever and needs nap.  Shhhh."

Each night after putting Sam to bed and leaving her room, she says, "Night night.  Sleep tight.  Bed bugs bite."  You can't help but smile hearing her say this.

When Sam enters her classroom at preschool, she'll walk up to Maya, wave her hand right in Maya's face and say, "Hi Maya".  It is super cute seeing her do this.  When it is time to say good-bye to Ian and me, she'll come up and give Ian the biggest hug and kiss good-bye.  It is incredibly sweet.

When Jeff comes home at the end of the day, Sam is the first one to run to the door and scream, "DADDY'S HOME!!!  DADDY'S HOME!!!"  If she sees there is mail waiting for him on the kitchen counter, she'll run, get it and hand it to him, "Here you go Daddy.  Mail for you."  Then Sam will run up to our room and pick out a t-shirt for Jeff to change into.

Sam is incredibly playful and loves to hide and play "Peek-y-boo".  She gets great fun out of going under the covers when she thinks you are coming for her.  Her giggling gives her away. 

And, she loves to eat whatever I make for dinner.  While Ian still needs to have something special made for him to eat occasionally, Sam will happily eat everything 90% of the time.  It is really cool to see her take a big bite and then exclaim "Deeeeeelicious!!"

Whenever I go to the bathroom, Sam is right there by my side, clapping her hands and saying, "Good job Mommy!"  Or, "Yay!  Mommy did it!".

If Sam spots a scar or scab on any of us, she likes to give it a kiss and say, "Sammy made it all better."

So there you have it.  Just a quick list of all the sweet and adorable qualities that make up my beautiful little girl.  I hope when she gets old enough to read this, she realizes it wasn't all scary and traumatic being her mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment