Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Two hour delay = 3.5 hours of ridiculousness

On Tuesday, February 22nd, Fairfax County, where we live woke up to less than an inch of snow.  I nervously looked at the news first thing in the morning, scared I would see the schools were closed.  I mean, the county has closed the school for much less happening than what we had on the ground. Fortunately school was still in session, but was going to operate on a 2 hour delay. 

You know what this means to me?  Let me share with you my schedule:

11:30am - drop Sam off at school
12:40pm - drop Ian off at school
1:30pm - pick Sam up from school
3:00pm - pick Ian up from school

I was able to take the kids and get to the gym before the above craziness started.  Getting a 5 mile run in helped put me in a better mood.  Funny enough, I ran into a fellow preschool mom while leaving the parking lot of the post office.  I had exactly 45 minutes to myself and wasn't going to hang around catching up.  I had things to do!  I can move 3 times faster without two kids in tow.  After going to the bank and the post office, my time was up and I had to head to Sam's preschool for pick-up. 

While I am more than pleased that a few hours of school is better than no school, I have to question this 2 hour delay and wonder why the preschool needs to follow the same schedule.  Sam's school starting at 9:30am is late enough that we are not getting in anyone's way on the roads.  Next time I am going to secretly wish that school is cancelled altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment