Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Meet Gertrude.

We have a very important new addition to the family.  Her name is Gertrude, but for short, I call her Gertie.  She is instrumental in my day-to-day activities and a Godsend when traveling to new destinations, or for that matter anything further than 5 miles from my house.  Yes, that's right, I am referring to my GPS.

Despite my love of all things technology and gadgets, I resisted getting one for years now.  I was holding out hope that eventually a new car would have the GPS integrated in the dashboard and it wouldn't be necessary to spend a few hundred dollars on a portable one.  However, the reality of getting a new car seems to keep getting further and further into the distance and in the meantime, I get lost more than socks in a dryer.


I don't even know how to work a compass
 I have no sense of direction.  None what-so-ever.  It is incredibly pathetic. I can go to the same place multiple times and never remember which direction will get me back home.  I believe I am actually retarded when it comes to having a sense of direction.  The only time I ever knew where we were, was in Florence.  Yes, as in Florence, Italy.  Maybe this is just how bad my sense of direction is, as it seems to be located in a completely different continent from where I reside.  For some reason, when Jeff and I went to Italy a few years ago, I felt very comfortable navigating our way around Florence and could always seem to find our way back to the hotel -- on the first try.  Jeff and I were both amazed by how my sense of direction seemed to kick in.  Funny enough, it was in a city where I didn't know the language and had never been before.

My mom has been offering to get me a GPS for many years now.  Each gift giving occasion her first suggestion is how about I get this for you.  Finally I caved and said yes, please do.  I am finally ready to admit just how bad I need help.  Poor Jen -- I drove us to the "Love the Run You're With 5k" in the Pentagon Row (Arlington) area a few weeks ago.  We made it there just fine, but the trip back (one I've done thousands of times!) was a sightseeing adventure that included Rosslyn (soooo in the wrong direction) all the way to Fort Belvoir (again, soooo in the wrong direction).  We made it home eventually, but it was pretty bad how off track we were.

Forget trying to read a map!

When my mom came to visit, we went together and picked out a pretty cool Garmin Nuvi GPS.  I love it and can't believe I've gone this long without it in my life. I keep it handy at all times and I can honestly say, it has already saved me (and those traveling with me) a handful of times.  For example, I met my friend in Bethesda for dinner.  I put the address in the navigation screen and it took me such a roundabout way that didn't have me touch the beltway.  This was so I didn't get stuck in traffic.  495 had a 50 minute delay and the route I was told to take (through D.C., snaking my way to Wisconsin Ave) had me moving the whole time.  I actually made it to the restaurant on time instead of being an hour late.  I would've NEVER been able to figure this out without the help of Gertie.  And, I wouldn't have known just how bad the delay was going to be on 495.

My mom excitedly got me the GPS in time for our trip to Hershey and the trip we are taking this weekend to Great Wolf Lodge.  She wanted me to have it as soon as possible and not wait until the end of June when my birthday actually occurs.  Unlike me, my mom knew how necessary this was.  Mom always does know best.

My new BFF
Gertie rocks and I will always have room in the car for her.  Fortunately she doesn't need a car seat, because I only have room for 2 of those.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment