Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

An act of sisterly love

The other day I reported on an act of brotherly love and Ian's demonstration on how much he cares for Samantha and wanted to help in our potty training efforts.  It wasn't more than 48 hours later and I saw a reciprocating demonstration of love, this time from Sam towards to Ian.

Every day when we leave the Synagogue, either after preschool or camp is over, there are sweets put out that the kids can help themselves to.  I don't know about the other moms, but I love that the preschool director puts these goodies out in the lobby.  It certainly helps me get Sam to move along and exit the building faster.  On Friday, Sam saw the tray of cookies and picked two.  She told me that one cookie was for her and the other would be for Ian.  She had a cookie in each hand and was ready to go to the car.  I looked at Ms. G (the preschool director) and wondered out loud how long the 2nd cookie would make it before Sam decided against her plan to give it to Ian.  Since Ian wasn't with us, he'd never know that there was ever cookie with his name on it.  Ms. G. smiled back and said, "Probably not long.  She has been licking each cookie."


Yes, it used to be round.  :)
 By the time we got home, Sam had eaten one cookie completely and had taken approx. 3 bites out of the other cookie, not to mention it looked a little soggy from her licking it.  She walked into the kitchen and said she needed a baggie to put the cookie in.  She told me, "I am going to give this to my brother.  This is for Ian." 

Even though she was hungry and asked for another snack when we got home, she didn't once touch the cookie.  When Ian got home after school, she ran to the kitchen and grabbed the bag with the cookie in it. I could hear her yell to Ian, "IIIIIIIIAAAAANNNNN, I got a cookie for you from my school.  Do you want it?" 

You got to admire her restraint.  She came very close to eating the whole thing and Ian would've never been the wiser.  But she managed to save 2/3rds of the cookie and give it to her brother just like she wanted.

It's moments like this that I am so happy they have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment