Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Feeling the love

I am now in single digits, counting down until I turn 40.  Just 9 more days to go.  Although, I love to make a big deal out of other people's birthdays, I am not usually one to go crazy over celebrating my own birthday.  That is until now.  For some reason I am finding much delight in making a big deal over the big 4-0!  I am trying to figure out why this number means so much to me.  I have come up with one word:  EMPOWERED!

I remember 10 years ago, approaching my 30th birthday and feeling very depressed.  I wasn't as far along in my life's milestones as I had wanted.  I hadn't met The One (not even close!), didn't have children yet, and was in a job that was pretty much not going anywhere and barely covered the bills.  I came to the conclusion that my life was not taking the path I had hoped and needed to change my plans.  I got a dog (Bailey) and made a good, full life for the both of us.  It is when you least expect it to happen, that everything has a way of falling into place.

Fast forward 10 years and I couldn't be happier about where I am in my life.  I am now married to a wonderful guy, 2 kids, and am at a very fulfilling place taking care of the kids, running the household, and being part of a great community.   But more than this, I feel more confident, more alive, and more in control of my life than ever before.  I feel like I have arrived.  I love that I have this strength to no longer give a damn about what others think.  Strength to do what I feel is right.  Strength to get up in the morning and train for a marathon if I want, or take 2 young kids and tackle Chuck E. Cheese or the pool by myself if I want.  Strength to let my instincts guide me and not second guess myself.  Strength to be the kind of wife, mom, friend, woman I want to be. 

As I turn 40, I do it with gusto!  I want to celebrate this amazing feeling of empowerment I have.  I am so blessed to have formed so many amazing friendships with women from all aspects of my life...The Girls' (these are the ones I always reference), my fellow preschool moms, and my MOMs club friends.  I can't imagine a day going by without speaking, running into, or emailing/texting one of them.  They are my sounding board, partner-in-crime, BFF, and the reason I don't go insane most days.


This is the headband I was given to wear at my night out
at the National Harbor.  Nothing says fun like a
pink, purple, black feathered headpiece, complete with
sparkles and pink party hat hanging out beyond
the feathers. (Thanks, Amy!)
 I have been enjoying my upcoming 40th with multiple celebrations.  2 weeks ago, my MOMs club friends took me out to the Melting Pot (can you say YUM!??!?!), this past weekend my preschool mom friends took me to Rosa Mexicana and Bobby McKey's (dualing piano bar) at the National Harbor (3 shots of tequila later! YOWZER!  Who knew I was able to handle that?!!?), and then on August 7th, I will go out with The Girls.  We've got dinner with Jeff's family this coming weekend on the calendar.  And lets not forget, the trip to Vegas next week with Jeff.  I am partying like a rockstar and loving every minute of it.  Getting to spend quality time enjoying each other's company, doing special outings, the ability to have a long conversation, laughing and creating special memories is better than any party.   This is exactly how I want to celebrate and comemorate the big 4-0.  I am blown away by the love being shown to me and how so many people want to do something.  I wasn't the popular kid in school (far, far from it) and now I feel like I was just crowned prom queen.  I love all these women so much and they each mean the world to me, and to feel that love come back to me all at the same moment is very overwhelming and humbling.
 
I may look like an absolute
dork, but I am having a
fantastic time!
40 is the new 30.

 I am turning 40 and I feel fabulous.

1 comment: