Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Heard and Observed XXVIII

Sam and I were at the mall on Thursday for a playdate and lunch with some of our friends.  After we said good-bye to everyone, we headed to the stores in search of a rain coat for Ian.  Ian is less than thrilled with his current rain coat and after 5 days of non-stop pouring rain, I promised I would find him a new one.

After going in and out of at least 8 stores in the mall, I silently thought to myself we would try one last place and then head home.  Sam had been excellent up to this point and I didn't want to push the envelope.  We walk into JC Penny's and head to their children's department.  Before I could ask the sales guy if they had any boys rain coats, Sam looks at me and says, "Enough with Ian, I need something with pink and purple." 

I couldn't resist and Sam picked out an outfit before heading home.  We pick Ian up from school and I break the news to him that there isn't a rain coat to be found in the whole mall.  I said I would find one online and order it right away.

I found a great rain coat at Lands End and showed Ian for him to pick which color he would like.  We scroll through the 8 or so color choices and Ian decides on a color I wouldn't have picked in a million years.  Before I could try to persuade Ian to pick a different color, Sam says, "Ewwww!  Gross!!".   Of course, Ian doesn't budge and this is the color that gets ordered.  I only hope the rain coat looks better in person.

*******************************************************************************

Now that Sam is potty trained, we put underwear on her first thing in the morning.  For the most part, Sam is getting really good about recognizing when she needs to go and making it in time.  But if she hasn't gone in a while, I ask her if she needs to go potty every hour or so. 

One morning, I realize she woke up a little before 6:00am and hadn't gone all morning.  I kept asking her if she had to go and she kept saying "No."   I was trying to respect that as an answer and trust that she knew what she was doing.  At 9:20am, I said to Sam, "We are leaving in 10 minutes.  Before we get in the car, everyone tries to go to the bathroom."

Sam:  I didn't keep underwear dry.

Me (getting very upset and starting to lose my cool):   WHAT?!?!?!  SAM!!!  I asked you 4 times this morning if you had to go, and each time, you said no.  This is just not cool.  From now on, you are going to take off your dirty underwear, your dirty shorts and get new underwear and shorts to put on.  I am done helping you.

Sam takes off her underwear and shorts and leaves them on the floor.  She goes into the bathroom and starts peeing...a lot!  I can't understand how she is able to pee now on the potty when apparently she has already gone in her underwear.  I pick up her shorts and underwear and feel them to see how wet they are.  They aren't wet at all!  They are bone dry!!!!!  Now I feel really bad for yelling at Sam and go in to the bathroom to apologize.  She is still peeing!

Me:  Sam, I'm sorry I yelled.  You told me you didn't keep underwear dry.  They are dry!  You did a great job.  I am so proud of you.

Sam:  No, they're not clean.  I farted in them.

And with that, Sam got off the potty and got herself some new underwear and shorts to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment