Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Soul

After my big breakdown about 2 month ago, my mom and Jeff each came up with the idea that I needed a break.  To get away without the kids and have some time to breathe, sleep, rest and not worry about the pooping, sleeping issues, temper-tantrums, and meltdowns of those around me.  Well you don't have to hit me on the head with anything heavier than a feather for me to jump on board and know this was a good idea and much needed at that.

I decided to book a long weekend in Orlando as soon as the marathon was over.  I figured if I went before, I'd still be stressed/anxious about the upcoming race and would be trying to fit in training runs while on vacation than taking the time to relax.  I left on Thursday night and came back early evening on Monday.  Those 4 days was perfect.  My sister (also known as my hero) booked us a 2 bedroom suite on the beach for the weekend.  I got to have lunch and spend time with my dad, stepmother, sister Meghan, and brother-in-law on Friday.  Come Friday night, my mom, sister Lori and I checked in for the next 48 hours at St. Petersburg and enjoyed 80 degree sunny weather, sitting in cabana on the beach, lounging, doing nothing.  It was wonderful.



Sunday night I had dinner with my best friend, Amanda and her family.  Amanda's 2nd child was born since I had been in town last and I finally got to meet the now 3.5 month old, Olivia.  What a cutie. 

On Monday, my mom decided to come back to NoVa area with me and surprise the kids with a visit.  It was awesome.  The look on Ian's face was priceless and the last thing he was expecting when coming to get me at the airport.  My mom was able to stay until Thursday afternoon.  I loved having my mom around.  I can't explain the relationship we have, but it goes beyond mother/daughter.  We are truly friends and there is no one I'd rather go shopping with, out to lunch with, run errands with or pal around with.

I feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle motherhood again.  I miss my family and its hard to have them live so far away.  But I have to say, it was a great destination and nice place to have to go.  Other than the cost of a plane ticket, it doesn't cost anything and the benefits of going are priceless.

I came up with an idea that I am hoping to implement next year. Other than our usual trips to Orlando as a family during the year, I would love to go 3 additional times.  Once by myself, once with just Ian, and again with just Sam.  Ian has a 2 day school holiday each quarter for teacher work days and we could easily make a 4 day excursion to Orlando.  And Sam's school is always closing for one Jewish holiday or another and could easily string 4 days together for that.  I think it would be pretty cool to visit the family separately with each child and do specific activities they would like.  Princesses, tea parties and shopping with Sam.  And for Ian, Legoland, Star Wars at Hollywood Studios, and Wii playing with his cool Uncle Ben (who by the way, designs video games for a living).  We could space these trips throughout the year and really have some special one-on-one time with each kid.   And if planned correctly, the other kid back at home would still have school and Jeff wouldn't have to miss that much work.  A win-win-win situation.  4 days was perfectly long enough to feel like you really got a break and do everything you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment