Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The making of a real estate tycoon

Here was the scene at our house on Thursday evening:

Ian and I are playing monopoly.  Ian has a big assortment of properties he has bought.  Me, not so much.  I have a bunch of railroads though, 3 to be exact.  I also have 2 of the purple properties and need Virginia Ave. to make a monopoly.  All my other turns were spent getting sent to jail (a freaky amount of times) or landing on the Chance spots (again, a freaky amount of times).  Meanwhile, Ian is cleaning up buying everything left and right.

Ian lands on one of my railroads.  He owes me $100.  He only has $26 in cash.

Me:  Ian, what are you going to do?  You need to come up with another $74 to pay me rent.  Do you want to mortgage some stuff to get more cash?

Ian:  No.  I'm not mortgaging anything.

Me:  Ok, I'll make you a deal.  How about I forgo the $100 you owe me, and give you an additional $200 in cash.  All I want in return is Virginia Ave. 

Ian:  I want $500 in cash.

Me:  Ha!  You are certainly not in a position to negotiate.  Virgina Ave. only cost you $160 to begin with.  This is a great deal.

Ian:  Ok, fine.  I'll take it.

As I am handing Ian the $200 in cash, he says, "Come to Papa." with a big smile on his face.

Before you know it, Ian has built HOTELS on every property possible on two entire sides of the monopoly board.  It is impossible to not land on something he owns.  He is giddy with joy every time you have to pay him $600 or more in rent.  It doesn't take long before you go bankrupt and Ian has won the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment