Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Festival of Lights

"Put on your yalmulka, here comes hanukkah
Its so much fun-akkah to celebrate hanukkah, "

-Adam Sandler, Hanukkah song. 

We are in the middle of Hanukkah!  What a magical time to be a kid.  Jeff and I decided to do something a little different and instead of getting the kids a present for each of the 8 nights, we chose to make a big part of their Hanukkah present from us a trip we will take.  Believe me, between gifts being given from 3 sets of grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins, Ian and Sam do not lack presents to open at Hanukkah.  

We would rather our money go for an experience than another toy the kids will stop playing with shortly after the month of December is over.  From Tuesday to Thursday, we will be hitting the road and visiting the Crayola Factory (Easton, PA), Please Touch Museum, Adventure Aquarium, and Franklin Institute, plus I want to squeeze in a trip to the Liberty Bell and Betsy Ross' house for Ian. (all in Philadelphia, PA). 

Jeff and I still did get the kids a gift for each of them to open the first 4 nights.  The night before Hanukkah started, I wrapped all the gifts and made a small pile for Sam and Ian.  On Tuesday morning, the kids were super excited to see their gifts and were already trying to figure out what each one was.  I told them they could pick whichever one they wanted to open each night.  Ian looked at the stack of varying sized packages and turned around to ask me, "Which one do YOU think I would like the most?"  Wow!  How totally brilliant of Ian to get my insight on which one to go for.  Sam quickly jumped on that train and asked me the same thing.

I told Ian which one I knew without a doubt he would be the most pleased with.  He has been wanting the entire Star Wars movie collection on DVD.  They just came out with it in September and I quickly grabbed the boxed set at Costco.  I've been hiding it in my closet ever since.  After lighting the menorah, Ian opened the gift and was jumping up and down when he saw what it was.  Instantly the sealed plastic wrapping came off and one of the movies went into our DVD player to be played.  Only it wouldn't play.  I made a major mistake of gigantic proportions.  I bought the blu-ray boxed set.  Oh my.  I felt horrible.  I quickly got in my car and drove to Costco to try to make it right.  They were great about giving me a store credit and trying to find the DVD set.  They don't have it and after doing a thorough Internet search (Amazon, google, everything!), it doesn't exist.  This boxed set only was offered on blu-ray.  If I were to purchase the 2 DVD boxed sets that each offered 3 of the movies, the cost would be over $300.  So not worth it.  Yes, it would've been cheaper to get a blu-ray player, but we don't have plans to do that anytime soon.

I have to say Ian handled the disappointment well and of course, we let him open another gift.  The next night Ian opened Monopoly.  The age recommendation is 8+, but Ian is able to play this game like he is channeling his inner Donald Trump.  It is most impressive to see him in action.  I love that he independently can handle all his own money transactions and subtracts/adds and builds houses/hotels like he has been doing this his whole life.  You soon forget you are playing with a child who is only 6.  I used to love playing Monopoly when I was little and I am enjoying it all over again getting to play with my son.  Watch-out if you play with him, he is a shark when it comes to making deals.

Sam wakes up each day and the first thing she asks is, "Is it still Hanukkah today?"  It is too cute.  Then she'll ask when it is time for Christmas.  I keep telling her we don't celebrate Christmas and she keeps saying, "Oh, I forgot".  She is very much enjoying the gifts Jeff and I got her for the first 4 nights, but I can't wait to see the look on her face when she realizes what Grandma and Grandpa Toppall got her.  An aquarium for a fish.  We are getting her something she can take care of, keep in her room and have all to herself.  Stay tuned for what name she picks out for the fish.

Tomorrow is the Toppall family Hanukkah party.  Bring on the latkes!  Bring on the dreidal playing!  Bring on the extended family!  Bring on the gifts!  Each year my kids get older, they have more fun playing and interacting with their cousins.  It is wonderful.  Just like this holiday.  One of the best our religion has to offer.  3 cheers for Hanukkah!


1 comment:

  1. Upon deciding to buy a car train horn, you should probably opt to shop around online, because you will be able to find and used train horn a wider variety and have a better chance of getting the one that you need.

    ReplyDelete