Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

The art of being Subtle.

I had a mommy friend ask me if Ian, without being obvious, could provide a little confidence-booster to her son about an extra-curricular activity he does each week.  Her son was questioning his participation and she knew that if Ian just mentioned it casually, that he looked like he was having fun and was doing a good job, it would be enough to keep his spirits up to continue.  Her son David looks up to Ian (who is a year older) and it would go far if Ian mentioned it in passing.

On the way to our activity, I asked Ian if he knew what the word "subtle" meant.  Ian said no, and I then took about 15 minutes to explain it and how sometimes being subtle can work to your advantage.  After Ian got the gist of what it meant, I was waiting for him to ask me what I wanted him to do that required him to be subtle.  Funny enough, Ian never asked.  I then explained to Ian what I hoped he would say to David (subtly) and help him feel better about participating in the activity we were going to.

Very quickly Ian replied:

Ian:  "But I've never watched David play.  Why would I say that to him?  Why do you want me to lie?"

Uh-oh!  Good point, Ian.

Me:  You're right Ian.  Don't lie.  Don't say anything.  Please forget we even had this conversation."

No comments:

Post a Comment