Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ian is now officially 7!

Every day I take Ian to school, he opens the car door and bolts for the school's doors.  The staff who helps with the kiss-n-ride all smile when they see Ian coming and give me a nod of the head.  They get a chuckle out of watching Ian doing his best imitation of a speed walk because he isn't allowed to run.  Ian's enthusiasm for first grade never diminished, even slightly.  Ian loves school and would prefer to get there as early as possible.  The few times I made it in to Ian's school during the year, his music teacher, Chinese teacher and reading teacher all voluntarily told me how much they love Ian.  Each one commented how funny Ian is, and without even realizing I was going to be in the school, they all had a story ready to tell to prove their point.

This past year, we finally found a sport that Ian is good at -- gymnastics.  He has a smile on his face all through class and it is actually refreshing to not cringe when watching him trying to participate.  Actually, quite the opposite.  I've become "that mom" who can't take her eyes off their child and whisper to myself cheers and clap from the sidelines when I see him doing well.  I have a feeling that if Ian wanted to, he could go far with this sport.  His upper body strength is phenomenal.

Ian's reading finally took off.  You can now hear Ian reading all over town, every time he sees something written.  I joke that if Ian didn't get even the littlest bit better, his reading skills as they are now, are enough to get him through life.  I never really thought we'd see that day.

For the most part Ian is incredibly easy-going.  The complete opposite of his sister.  He goes with the flow and as long as it makes sense, he is game for anything.  Ian loves to negotiate and all it usually it takes is a Vanilla Bean Frappacino or Josie's Frozen Yogurt to make him happy.  

Ian is still very considerate and thoughtful.  He makes me so proud with his manners and how he behaves not only at home, but other people's houses too.

This past year Ian has really gotten into watching professional sports.  He loves to watch football and Baseball and give us a play-by-play recap of every single play.   We don't have to watch the game when Ian is filling us in every 30 seconds. 

And all on his own, Ian has learned how to take showers and prefers this method (rather than taking a bath) to getting clean each night.  It is a wonderful milestone that I didn't realize how great to have gotten to.  The other thing Ian will do where the bathroom is concerned is to stop going in the women's restroom with me.  I am not sure exactly when this started, but I remember us being at Target and I said to Ian we were going to the bathroom before shopping in the store.  Ian stood firmly outside the door and said he'd wait for us. I felt a little uneasy leaving him by himself, but he was very adamant about not wanting to go in with me.  I gave him a quick speech about not moving one square inch from that spot and to not talk to anyone who looks twice at him.  After that first time, it got a little easier and easier to let him not be tortured in the women's restroom.   Ian has this way of letting us know when he is ready to take something to the next level.  I pride myself on trusting him and letting him have a little more freedom. 

To my enthusiastic, energetic, sharp, super-smart newly 7 year old,  I wish you the happiest of birthdays.  May this year bring you awesome adventures, whimsical moments and endless laughter.  I love you more than you'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment