Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Humor even when sick

About a week and a half ago, I got sick.  A nasty cold came out of the blue and did me in.  However, since my position of CEO of Ian Industries does not offer sick leave, I plowed through it and managed to keep up with all the plans we had.  Jeff and I continued to divide and conquer and I never missed a beat doing everything written on the calendar.  However, my voice did take a beating and before I knew it, I lost it completely.  I am sure I sounded like someone was torturing me every time I opened my mouth.

Two funny moments stood out during my week of walking around in a fog, wishing a big mac truck would just do me in and put me out of my misery.

1. The kids in Ian's class get to report on Good News/ Bad News each morning if they have something to share.  The following conversation happened during the height of my sickness:

Ian:  I've got Good News/ Bad News to report on!!

Me (in a very raspy, hard to hear squeak):  What?

Ian:  My mom lost her voice!!

Me (while my voice is going in and out of being audible):  Which is that, the good news or the bad news?

Ian:  Both!!


2. While driving in the car one afternoon with both kids, my head was pounding. It felt heavier than a 15 pound bowling ball and I wasn't sure I was going to live through the next hour with how much pressure had built from the neck up.  The kids incessant chattering and asking a gazillion questions was doing me in.  I needed to think of something quick to bring silence to the car.  I pulled out a gem from my childhood days and said, "We are going to have silence contest.  The first one to talk loses.  Let's see if we can make it all the way home and we will all be winners." 

Sam quickly asked if sneezing and coughing count.  I replied back, "No, if you need to cough or sneeze, that is ok.".

Me:  Ok, on your mark, get set, go!

Sam:  Fake cough, fake sneeze OVER AND OVER AGAIN! 

Oh my!  It did take my mind off my pounding head temporarily, while I chuckled to myself on Sam finding a loophole and playing it for all it was worth.  Got to give her credit, she is clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment