Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Boundaries

Ian has been making his case for getting the wii game, "The Amazing Spider-Man."   It is a rated T (for teens) video game. 

According to CommonSenseMedia, this wii game is full of violence, though no blood or gore.  The game also has some mild suggestive themes and mild profanity.   Even though the game is rated T, parents say they are comfortable with kids as young as 11 playing the game, and kids themselves feel you should be 10 years old or older.  And of course, Common Sense Media is recommending kids be at least 13 years. 

Ian has a strong case for thinking we should let him have this wii game.  His main point is that we are okay with him watching all the Spider-Man movies (and not just the cartoon version).  In fact, the Spider-Man movies have been downloaded to our DVR and Ian is allowed to watch them as often as he'd like.  He also has stated that he played the Rated T wii game at a friend's house and it didn't give him nightmares.

I actually could give him more fuel for his case and say that Ian is not an aggressive child and doesn't have a violent nature to him.  I really don't think this game would do harm to psyche.  Ian is pretty grounded and has a good head on his shoulders.  I do think he can walk away from the game and leave the violence behind.   But I am not giving Ian this point to add to his persuasive argument on why he should be allowed to have the wii game.

Jeff and I keep having the same discussion.  Getting Ian this wii game has to be mutually agreed to.  I have a feeling Jeff would be on board to get it for him, if I was.  But Ian doesn't realize I am the main reason that is keeping him from getting it.

So, why I am I having a hard time approving of this wii game purchase?  Because there is a reason that the game was given a T rating.  Ian is only 7!   He is still 6 years away (almost double his life!) before the video game company thinks it is appropriate and still 4 more years from other parents thinking it is appropriate.  Those age suggestions are there for a reason.

Yes, he is allowed to watch the movies.  But he isn't also actively killing things when watching a movie.  He also isn't watching these movies every day. I think there is a big difference to watching a movie, than being a player in a game.

Our kids need boundaries.  Telling Ian to wait a few more years until he can get the game is good for him.  Ian doesn't lack video games to play.  There are plenty others that are more appropriate for his age he can play and has at his disposal. 

Ian has his whole life to play video games rated T, why do we have to rush it and start now? 

My mind is set and I won't budge on this.  I just wish the argument was on why we should get a dog.  Now, that is something I can get behind and help convince the big guy we should jump into.

No comments:

Post a Comment