Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Unchartered Territory.

I am off to a great start with two of my New Year's resolutions.

Resolution #1:
Stop watching Beverly Hills 90210.  I didn't realize how much this tv show is on.  Nor, do I think I fully grasped how much I was watching it in years past.  Jeff always commented on it when he would pass by and get a clue on what I was watching.  But, even I don't think he knew how often I was watching the gang at Beverly Hills High.   In the past 14 days, I must've bypassed a channel 90210 was on about 6 different times.  This would've been 6 instances where I would've easily turned the remote to this channel and left it on.

So what I have I replaced 92010 with?   "Cops" and "Dance Moms".  Now there is quality television!  It's funny that Cops and Dance Moms don't have anything to do with each other and both shows couldn't be further from 90210, but for some reason they've grabbed my attention.

Resolution #2:
Cut myself off from email and FB on Saturdays.  I've officially survived the first two Saturdays of the new year and lived to tell about it.  Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I actually enjoyed knowing I HAD to do other things than be on the computer.  It was a pretty great break.  I was in the car more than normal for a Saturday, and I definitely went through a challenging time coming to red lights and not checking email/FB.   My hand automatically reached for my phone, but after awhile I got used to it.  If I had been on FB a week ago Saturday, I would've posted the following status update:

"Just felt like I went to war...no, wait, that was Costco."

The big downside of not being connected?  On both Sunday mornings, I had 54 emails to sort through.  About 1/3 of those were spams and easy deletes, but there was a lot of activity among my friends and various plans getting made.  I didn't get the chance to chime in, but that was okay.

As Saturday wore on, I did keep a list of all the emails I wanted to send the moment I could log back on.  It felt good to write them and send the emails on their way.

All in all, I think I am off to a good start.  But then again, it is only January 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment