Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Snowtacular!

We did it!  We finally made it snow tubing!!!  This was, for some odd reason, a hard one to pull-off.   Snow tubing tickets can not be reserved in advance, so unless you want to take a big gamble and drive 90 miles away to find out the day is completely sold-out or have to wait a few hours before you can get a ticket, it wasn't going to happen.

I figured out a way around this minor inconvenience and put together a group of 20 people, so we could get a group reservation and secure a two hour period for snow tubing.  We were guaranteed tickets as long as I was willing to pay up front for 20 tickets.  Not a problem!  I know people!

The problem was the first date picked.  The end of December was unusually warm for our area and snow tubing was not happening.  Our second choice in dates was Martin Luther King Day.  Also known as Inauguration day for President Obama and a great reason to get out of the Washington D.C. Metro area.  However, this date had me sweating big-time that one or more of the families was not going to make it due to the cold and flu season.  It was a game-time decision up until the very last second if the group reservation was going to stick or if I would have to cancel it.  Fortunately it all came together and everyone showed up.  Whew!

The one thing I didn't figure into the plans was that Ian and Sam wouldn't enjoy snow tubing.  All indications have shown us that both kids would absolutely love this experience.  I even lied about Sam's age (you have to be a minimum of 5 years old) so that she could feel like a big girl and do the hill we were doing.  After two times flying down the massive hill like you are about to take-off airborne, with the wind rushing at your face, holding on for dear life, both kids were done.  Sam sounded like a Taylor Swift song saying she was "never, ever, ever, going to do that again, never ever."  I give them both credit for going down twice before realizing they were officially finished.  I am surprised and a bit disappointed by their reaction.  Maybe in a few years they'll feel differently.

My mother-in-law joined us, snow tubing for the first time and looking like a pro.  She did awesome and went down the hill (I feel like I should be calling it a mountain!) twice before volunteering to hang out with Ian & Sam so Jeff could join me again.  That was pretty wonderful of her. 




She looks like she is enjoying this!




A not-so-very-happy Ian


Two happy parents who were able to keep playing thanks to a fantastic grandmother!



No comments:

Post a Comment