Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Grateful.

I'd like to dedicate this space today to my parents.  My mom and dad got divorced when I was in college and each have gone on to remarry.  It could've been messy, it could've been ugly, but my parents took the high road and made it a very amicable situation.

I am so grateful that they remain friends.  I am very appreciative they can be in the same room, plane, car, restaurant, graduation, party, bris, baby-naming and birthday party and get along.  And not just get get along, but get along GREAT!  All holidays (Thanksgiving, Passover, birthdays) are usually spent together.

My sister Lori and I for the 2nd year in a row, went in on a joint Hanukkah present for our parents.  Last year we surprised them with tickets to the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show.  And, this year we surprised them with tickets to see Jerry Seinfeld.  When we came up with the idea, we knew both Mom/Jim and Dad/Rita would enjoy the experience.  It was a no-brainier to get them tickets all together.

Saturday night was the Jerry Seinfeld concert.  Rita called right before the show and said how great the seats were and they were excited to be there.  My mom called afterwards and said she had never laughed so hard in her life.  She described truly having to hold her sides from laughing so much.

It makes me feel so good that my sister and I could do this for them and give them a great night out.  And, I feel so fortunate that it wasn't at all awkward the four seats were together.  I love my parents deeply and appreciate their ability to have this kind of relationship.  Even if all this started "for the sake of the kids", it has become a wonderful example how two couples can respect and be friends despite all that has happened. And for that I am very grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment