Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

A shade obsurd


Side Note:  I am interrupting "The Big Reveal" of Ian's bedroom makeover for the next several days.  It is not ready yet to be seen by my millions of readers.  :)  Just know that it is coming along swimmingly and the light at the end of the tunnel is shinning bright.
 
 
We all know that the U.S. Postal Service is not in the best financial shape.  There was talk about stopping mail delivery on Saturdays (beginning August) and many small town post offices are closing down.  It feels like quarterly, the rate of a first class postage stamp gets increased.   The US Postal Service also is the butt of jokes..."Going Postal" is a phrase that comes to mind when someone is about to lose it. 
 
Well, I was close to going postal when my envelope got returned for an additional PENNY in postage. Yes, you read right -- it only needed one more cent to make it to it's destination.  The envelope was a bit oversized, so I thought I was going overboard by putting a .65 cent stamp on it.  Guess not! 
 
 
 
I love taking the time to handwrite cards and notes.  I am a bit "old school" like that and will try to send someone a thank you by mail rather than email if I can help it.  I was given a very generous gift by a good friend about a week ago and wanted to write a thank you to her.  I put it in the mail.  Approx. 5 days later (yes, almost a week), the envelope showed up back in my mailbox being returned for more postage....just one more penny's worth.  Really?  Yes, really.  I had to shake my head and wonder if it was worth the amount of time it took the post office to weigh this particular envelope, find out it was short a penny of postage, get the appropriate stamp on it to let me know and then give it back to my postman to put in my mailbox.  Wasn't all that time and effort by the post office be worth more than a penny?   No wonder they losing money.
 
And here's my next thought -- what about all the times I put too much postage on an envelope thinking it needs a little extra because of size or weight?  Do they go to the same trouble to give me back the extra money?  No, they don't.
 
I find this whole situation absurd.  I could understand if I mailed 10 or 20 of these envelopes and they all were a penny short.  But this was just one envelope. 
 
Just a bit absurd if you ask me. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment