Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

OH MY! Sam's 5!

Today Samantha turns 5!  Yes, you read right, 5.  That's every finger on one hand, you know.  I can't believe we've made it another year.  And, what a year its been!

In September, Sam finally started pooping and peeing on the potty.   This didn't come easily or without much angst.  It was only under the careful monitor of a Pediatric GI doctor that we can now check this milestone off the list.  Chalk it up to Sam's need for control and her ability to show just how head-strong she can be (at one point, she went 19 days without pooping!!).  But, we've moved past that and can now breathe easy knowing back-up clothing and multiple changes of underwear daily is now a thing of the past.  I believe I have suffered PTSD from the experience and personally, I am still recovering.

Sam wakes up in the morning and likes to get dressed right away.  G-d help you if she wakes up grumpy.  It is best to stay back and let her stomp her feet, throw things and yell crazy stuff that she doesn't want to wear anything you suggest.  Most mornings I let her figure it out on her own or wait until she has had a few minutes to get in a better mood.  Sometimes the better mood never comes by the time we need to leave for school.   Samantha can easily go through 3 to 4 complete outfit changes in the morning alone. Another new outfit when we come home after school and then pajamas usually for dinner. This is all her own doing -- believe me, I am not encouraging a change of clothes each hour.

Not a morning person.
Sam's ability to whine and become explosive at the drop of a hat could win her a gold medal in the Olympics.  She has perfected each to an art.  Jeff and I are convinced that this is no longer a stage, but now a full-blown personality trait.  The only bright side to this is that I will send her to her room.  She stomps up the stairs, slams the door shut and will stay there for about 5 minutes.  When Sam comes out (all on her own doing), she is calm and will apologize for her behavior.  It's like a reset button and we start again. Of course, sometimes its like Groundhog Day and she is back in her room 2 minutes later. 

I don't want to paint a picture that is all bad.  Far from it.  Sam can be very loving, sweet and funny - when she wants to be.  She loves her brother Ian fiercely, and most times when she gets upset, a hug from him is all that can calm her down.  She is going to do what she is going to do.  And sometimes that is not cool and doesn't like to be told "no" or try it another way.

Sam made it to her dentist appointments this year without causing any kind of scene.  She was excellent!  I am pretty sure I teared up a bit realizing how my life just got a little less stressful in this area.  Do you want to know just how head-strong Sam is?  She used to be a constant thumb-sucker.  I didn't mind and probably even encouraged it, because when she was sucking her thumb, she couldn't yell/whine at the same time.   About 4 months ago, Sam complained her front teeth were hurting.  I took her to the dentist and they did an x-ray.  The roots above her teeth were dissolving from getting pushed by her thumb sucking.  The dentist told Sam it was important she give up sucking her thumb.  She went cold turkey and never sucked her thumb again.  Ever.  Not even when she was sleeping.  It was the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen.  To give up a bad habit just like that and never look back. Wow.  I am in still in awe.

Sam is very creative!  She absolutely loves to spend her time coloring, drawing and painting pictures.  The world is her canvas and everything around her can be made prettier with Sam's touch and a marker.  Sam has a sense of style that could give Kate Middleton a run for her money.  She is of the belief, the more color the better. And she loves to pose in her creations and have me take her picture.

Completely assembled by Sam.  Look how proud she is!

Sam's taste in television has evolved.  She used to watch "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" non-stop and now will watch "Phineas and Ferb".  She can quickly memorize line after line and recite the dialogue along with the characters.  When it came time to meet Phineas and Ferb in Orlando this past Summer, Sam got very shy and was afraid to go near them.

Every day when it comes time to cook dinner, Sam is right by my side wanting to help.  Whatever task I can give her in the kitchen will make her happy and put a smile on her face. 

Sam took dance, gymnastics, and swim lessons this year (sometimes all 3 in the same week!) and has now decided she wants to give soccer a try in the Fall.   Sam is fearless and happy to try anything once.  She flew down the snowtubing mountain TWICE before she realized she wasn't a fan. 



Samantha loves her friends!!  The more playdates we can schedule for her the better.  She has a great time playing "family", dressing up in princess clothes, pretending to cook in her play kitchen and doing arts/crafts.  One of our favorite activities is to go for frozen yogurt after school with our friends.

mmmmm....Josie's

I am saving the best for last.  Sam has fully embraced her love for pop music/girl rock and sings constantly!  She goes to sleep at night with her radio playing the top 40 hits and wakes up ready to sing.  She knows all of Kelly Clarkson, Pink, and Katy Perry's songs by heart.  She belts out a tune from the minute we are in the car to when we get to our destination.  It is super cute!

I love my little girl so much.  I actually love her the most when she is trying my patience and driving me crazy.  It's then that my unconditional love kicks in and I feel so lucky to have her in my life.  I don't think I'd want her any other way.  I know this personality will get her far in life...she is not going to take any shit from anyone.  :)

I wish Samantha Rachel Toppall the most amazing 5th birthday ever.  May it be full of giggles, learning, love and temper-tantrum free.  It's a big deal to be turning 5.  It is going to be a great year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment