Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

One step closer!

Sam's kindergarten orientation was this past Monday.  I had a smile on my face the whole day. 

The orientation was from 2:00 to 4:00pm.  We were broken up into four groups and had a rotation set-up that took us to all the key places the future kindergartners would go to in a typical day.  My group's first stop was the music room.  We met the music teacher and she gave us a rundown of what to expect next year and then she played a few music games with the kids.  With a few minutes left to go, she asked us (mainly directing this to the parents) if we had any questions.  Sam instantly raised her hand.   Sam's question?   "Should we raise our hands if we have a question?"    I guess Sam wanted to know if it was the same in big kid school as it is in preschool.  I am glad she got that figured out and didn't have to wonder anymore.  :)

Our next stop was the gym.  Both gym teachers led this presentation to our group.  The kids sat on the floor, towards the front of the gymnasium.  The parents were lined up along the side wall.  As the gym teacher spoke and said what the kids typically do 3 times a week, Ian began doing it.  Really, he was demonstrating. All of it. As soon as it was mentioned that the period starts off with a warm up, Ian began doing push ups.  Then he moved to lunges.  Then jumps.  Next thing you know, he was doing stretches. 

The best part came when the video began playing.  It was a 5 minute showing of all the different activities the kids do during gym.  Since there was no dialogue, the background was this fast paced music.  Ian took this time (all 5 minutes!) to do a dance.  He was busting a move big-time.  The mom next to me asked if I had Ian in a hip-hop dance class.  When I said no, she said I should.  He was really getting into it.  And he didn't care that no one else was dancing.  Gosh, I really wish I had video of this.  But I was in too much shock seeing Ian do his thing.

None of the rising kindergartners could see what he was doing, because he was behind them.  But, the parents and both gym teachers were very much entertained.

The rest of the orientation went without a hitch.  I had to laugh when I told two different people that I was going to Sam's kindergarten orientation and they asked if Ian was going to strip his clothes and run around screaming, like Sam had done to him.  Fortunately, that didn't occur and we made it through the 2 hours without causing a scene.  

So many people who work at the elementary school will see Sam periodically when I am there for Ian and say to me, "Wow, she is so quiet today."  Hahahahah.  Sam definitely has a reputation and school hasn't even started yet for her.  Is it a coincidence the Principal is retiring at the end of this year?  I think not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment