Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Work In Progress - Part 1

In the months leading up to Ian's birth, Jeff and I spent many hours designing his room.  We decided the theme would be "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles".   I loved how his room turned out and was incredibly pleased we spent so much time (and love) into doing the very best job we could.  I was certain this theme was "big boy" enough to last him until he left home for college.

Oh, how wrong I was!  Ian has been asking for a room re-do for his upcoming 8th birthday.  He would like a Washington Nationals (baseball) theme.  WHAT!?!?!  I have to admit, this took me by shock and I needed time to adjust to the idea.  But as I've been told time and time again, this is not my room.  It is Ian's.  He should have what he wants.

Here are pictures of his room PRE-MAKEOVER:

Plane light switch, car/road hooks and train tracks along the top of the wall.

All hand painted by Jeff and me!


Hooks on the back of his door.

Train tracks went along the top of two walls.  We used fishing line and put trains on the tracks.

Cars driving on a hilly road, down one wall and across another -- again painted by hand!

 
Another picture of the train tracks and a 3-dimensional plane shelf.  The B/W picture is of Ian in front of one of my dad's antique cars.



Pretty cool room, right?  I guess after 8 years he was ready for a change.

So, we really listened to Ian and what he wanted.  I'll be honest, it took me awhile to get on board, but I eventually got there.  We hired a painter to come and paint his room.  We ordered a really cool bunk bed system with a built-in desk.  With Ian needing a proper place to do his homework and the increasing number of sleepovers he has, we felt it necessary to get him a new bed.  We would do this room makeover in stages, first the paint and new bed and then see how much wall space was available for the Washington Nationals themed artwork and other branded tchotchkes.

Stay tuned for what happened next...When the room makeover officially begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment