Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Work In Progress - Part 2

Oy Vey!  The room renovation wasn't going good.  Not at all!

Let me back up a second.  The painting turned out great!  We were all very happy with how the old paint was able to be covered up.  We had the four walls all painted white and a red border (in the official Washington Nationals red color) painted at the top on all the walls.



Looks awesome, right?

Later that same day, Jeff and I built the beds and the desk.  It was a twin on top, a full size bed coming out perpendicular down below and a desk built in on the side. This is the picture of what was ordered.

We had a very shaky start when Jeff couldn't decipher the instructions (Ikea's instructions are brilliant compared to this) and began freaking out looking at all the pieces we had.  But we moved past that and somehow got the whole thing assembled.

Then we took a look at what we created and I had a minor breakdown.  It was a DISASTER!!!!  Despite our careful measuring, the new bunk beds and desk were too gigantic for Ian's small room. It overtook the whole room.  There wasn't any space to do anything.  Furthermore, Ian would never be able to make his bed, I'd never be able to change his sheets and he couldn't get to and from the bed easily.  Like I said, it was a disaster.


Right away I said I wanted to send it back.  We had to get rid of this and reclaim Ian's room.  This whole room re-do was turning into a nightmare.  The bed came in 9 huge boxes and was shipped to us.  I quickly had Jeff rescue the empty boxes from outside and bring them back in.  I envisioned us having to put everything back in its original condition, packed in each of the boxes.  Jeff is back to flipping out and has proclaimed he will take an entire day and disassemble the bed so it can get shipped back.  Oy!

No one is happy with the situation.  Not me (it looks horrible!), Not Jeff (he didn't think this would look good in the first place), and Not Ian (I don't want to feel like I am sleeping in a cave.).

I called the furniture company first thing Monday morning to find out how best to return this.  I was put on hold for a minute and when Amber came back on she said, "We aren't able to resell this.  So please dispose of it however you want.  I've just put a full credit back on your credit card."

WHAT!?!?!  OMG!  I am still in shock from hearing those words.  That's crazy.  Really, what company does business like that!?!  I am impressed.  Big-time!

Stay tuned for A Work In Progress - Part 3.  Time to come up with Plan B.

P.S. - For those that wanted to know what we did with the bunk bed system once the company told us to keep it, we very easily got rid of it.  My friend offered to buy it off us and came to pick it up within one day.  Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment