Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A few final words

So I've come to find out that there is a downside to going away somewhere fun and then coming back home. First and foremost, I did not come back well-rested. In fact, I got less sleep than I usually get at home. In Mexico, I averaged 5.5 hours each night. There was a one hour time difference and my body never fully adjusted. Instead of being able to sleep in, I was up and at 'em like I usually am at 6:00am EST. And, of course, I did stay up much later at night than I usually do. There was no sleeping in and lingering in bed. Oh no, I made good use of the time I was awake and kept having fun. All this made for a tired girl coming back home.

The other BIG observation and I emphasize the word "big" is that I gained 5 pounds in 72 hours. Yes, you read right - 5 pounds. Yowzer!! But this is what happens when you carefully watch what you eat 24/7 and then throw caution to the wind and not give it another thought. Hopefully I'll be able to get those 5 pounds off almost as fast as it came on.

I did manage to keep it gluten-free for almost the whole time I was away, but I ended up caving when it came to the wedding cake. I am a sucker for cake and knew that it would be impossible to say no. The cake didn't disappoint and I give myself some kudos for doing as well as I did the rest of the time. But when all is said and done, I am sure I've done damage to my small intestine that will now take another 5 months to a year to repair.

A funny observation -- You know you've been drinking too much when;

Heather and I met for one last meal at the resort before going to the airport. The waiter asked Heather what she wanted to drink and Heather replied with "ice tea." The waiter then turned to me for my drink order and without hesitation said, "Would you like Tequila?"

And not to be outdone by an incident that happened earlier in the morning (and I am talking like 10:00am!): One of the staff members at the resort (my new BFF Johanna) crossed my path as I was walking to the bathroom and she said, "Would you like one last Mudslide before you leave today?"

Oh my! I don't like beer and I am not one to really indulge in drinking wine, but when the fru-fru drinks are being offered and they can make virtually anything under the sun (Sexy Banana - OMG!), it was easy to toss back the frozen drinks like they were water. Giving up soda during this weekend wasn't difficult at all. I just replaced it with alcohol. :)

I will eventually catch up on the sleep and I will eventually lose the 5 lbs, but the good times will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment