Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My boy is wicked smart*

Ian is 4.5 years old. He doesn't turn 5 until the last day of May. It took him awhile to start talking. In fact, for a long time, Jeff was concerned he would only ever say the one word he knew "uh-oh". But once he turned 2, his speech took off and he has been a non-stop talking little boy ever since. His annunciation is crystal clear and he regularly uses big words (like conveyor belt, suspension bridge, actually, distracted, etc) and always in the right context.

You get used to hearing Ian talk like this and it is only when he is hanging out with his friends that you realize what the typical 4 year old sounds like. Ian's vocabulary is anything but typical.

Since I've been around Ian from the beginning, none of this surprises me - that is until the other day. I filled the car up with gas and was proceeding to leave the gas station and merge back into traffic. Ian was saying "Go! go! go!" I said to Ian, "Ian, I can't go now, I'd get hit by all these cars coming." Ian replied with, "When I said 'go', I didn't mean it literally."

It's a good thing I had my foot firmly on the brake, because I needed a moment to pick my mouth up off the floor. Yowzer!!! In a million years I didn't know he knew the word "literal" or how to use it properly in a sentence.

I was sort of expecting him to throw around the words "instinct" and "positive" because those were the words he asked me what they meant earlier in the day. Yes, folks, he is 4.5 years old.

Is it too young to apply to Harvard?

*movie quote: Good Will Hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment