Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Not a moment too soon

The plane takes off at 8:55am this morning. My bag has been packed for a few days now; I downloaded 3 movies on iTunes to watch at some point (either on the plane or hanging out at the airport); I got lucky and two books from my wait list at the library became available. I found 2 cans of sunscreen that was unopened from the summer, and fortunately I still fit in the dress I wore to my sister's rehearsal dinner back in October and will wear to Jennifer's wedding tomorrow. I am ready.

I am not sure if I need the break so badly because I know one is coming, or if the break is so needed because I haven't had one in a while. Samantha has become, for lack of kinder words, a handful. For the past few weeks she is super clingy and only wants me to hold her - constantly. And when I am holding her, she does her best to attempt communication on where we should be moving to and what I should help her get that is out of her reach, but she wants it, and wants it NOW! And, no matter how identical her breakfast or lunch looks to Ian's, it's Ian's she wants. Speaking of lunch, she'll eat hers and then start on mine and finish it. I've long forgotten the days when I could sit down in the morning and have a bowl of cereal alone. No more, now I have a 19 month old sitting on my lap with her mouth open like a fish waiting for a spoonful. Sam has discovered my favorite go-to gluten-free snack and now is completely addicted to rice cakes. We are going through packages of rice cakes like it is much more tastier than it really is. :)

Sam's favorite word is "no". She has no problem disagreeing with every idea or thought we tell her. "Sam, let's go change your diaper." "NO." or "Sam, time to take a nap." "NO." or even, "Sam, please don't give your cheezits to Bailey." "NO." And, we know she knows perfectly well what this word means.

Lately she has been really messing with us and not taking as long of a nap as she used to. It's not that she doesn't need the sleep, because she does. Cutting her nap short only makes for a very cranky, miserable little girl the rest of the day.

This week was extra rough for me. On Monday, I was at the end of my rope and ready to call in reinforcements. I wasn't sure how I was going to make it through the day, and it was only 8:30am. My saving grace was the gym and I knew that I would be able to walk away for one hour and regain my strength to be a mommy again. If I could just make it to the gym and get the kids checked into the kids club, all would be right with the world. I had a school holiday (MLK day) working against me and I knew I needed to get to the gym before the kids club filled up and started a wait list. Even though both kids were dressed, it still took us 30 minutes to get out the door. Fortunately getting a good run in did wonders for me and the rest of the day was more peaceful. It helped that Sam slept for 3 hours, caught up on some much needed sleep, and woke up very happy.

I've survived this week and made it to the golden day I've been waiting for. Heather and I are on the same flight going and coming. I've already told her that its okay if we don't talk on the plane. Not that I am being intentionally rude, but for at least the morning, I don't want to be asked to do anything, even listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment