Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Vroom, Vroom

My new favorite activity is vacuuming. I honestly wish I had thought of this sooner. It's not because we have a 95lb German Shepherd who sheds a Shitzu every 2 days or even because we have a fabulously powerful Dyson Animal DC-17 vacuum that we've named Rocko.

No, the main reason I've fallen in love with my new hobby is because I get to drown the family out. By the time we've eaten dinner, cleaned up from dinner and have a little bit of downtime before the kids go to bed, I've had it. It's been a long day and I am exhausted. Even more so if we are nearing the end of the work week and I've been 'on call' all week. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being home with the rugrats, but it is exhausting none-the-less.

I've discovered an awesome way to tune them out. Turn on the vacuum! For approx. 30 minutes I can't hear a thing. The cool thing is, I haven't run away and abandoned the family. I am still at home, technically still doing my job as a mother, but all I can hear is the glorious sound of the vacuum cleaner. And the best part is, the house is getting clean at the same time. Not to mention that after a quick Google search, I've discovered I am burning about 70 calories in those 30 minutes of doing housework. Much better than eating those 70 calories because I am a little stressed-out.

Ah, this is brilliant! I wish I had discovered the benefits sooner. All I need is those 30 minutes to get refreshed and back in the game. It's like I am a new person and my patience level has been reset.

I used to vacuum early in the day, either when Sam was napping or before we'd leave for school in the morning. But no more! I now know the best time for me to break out Rocko is after dinner. It's my version of dessert. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment