Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I did it! I am no longer using a diaper bag. I never thought I would see the day when this was possible. I had visions of taking Ian to college and still reaching in getting a wet wipe to use on his face and hands. Or, when attending Sam's high school graduation and knew that if for some reason she got a little hungry, I could slip her a snack from the many I always carried around.

The kids and I went to one of our favorite parks the other day (we took full advantage of the temps only being in the 70s that one week in early July) and met up with some wonderful friends. The kind we wish we could see more often, but between our schedule and theirs, we only average at the most once a month. It was then I noticed that Beth was no longer using her backpack. This backpack was always strapped to her back and ready with everything under the sun either of her two kids could need. I don't think I've ever known Beth without her backpack. I was in awe of this exciting step she was taking. I threw a few different scenarios at her and asked how she would handle this not having a her backpack. I loved her answers and felt like maybe this was possible.

After our wonderful outing, I went back home and told Jeff about Beth's bold, new move. Jeff wasn't as convinced that this was a good idea and was sure we were a minimum of 2 years away of giving up the diaper bag. I gave it some thought and decided to go for it! About a week later, I was at DSW and noticed their great selection of bags. Handbags with lots and lots of pockets. I fell in love with this hot, little pink number and haven't looked back since.

When I got home from DSW and was giving Jeff a tour of my new "mommy bag", I happily discovered it came with a lightweight, compact matching umbrella. How cool is that!?!? Now that is something my diaper bag never had.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a mommy, but have never understood why (most) diaper bags have to be so awful. I get it; they are functional, which is key!

    So many moms these days are professional (current or former) women, or older mothers. Who wants to lug around something dowdy or cutesy?! So much better to find something that matches your style, as you did.

    ReplyDelete