Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Transformation

Several weeks ago, my friend Ivy and I were talking and she asked me what my goals were. She had recently broken up with her boyfriend and was going to focus on herself for the time being. She felt like she needed some goals to have something to works towards and feel more fulfilled when she reached them. Me? Goals? I really don't have any. I do have the small changes I make each month, but once those 30 days are up, it is not something I focus too much on and move onto the next change I want to make. I really didn't have anything I was working towards...nothing that was keeping me motivated and inspired to keep going.

And then it hit me after writing my last post "Bleh!" I need goals! I need something that makes me want to jump out of bed and challenge myself a little more. Get me excited about seeing the dream become a reality. I've decided a transformation within me is going to take place. I am super excited about this and decided to tackle the following:

1. Lose 25 pounds.
Yep, Back in October 2009, the number used to be 14 pounds left to lose to meet my goal weight. We are now at the ugly number of 25 more pounds to go. There, I said it and am facing the fact that I need to get super-serious about my weight loss efforts and go back to tracking every bite and morsel I eat. No more mindless snacking in the afternoon. If I bite it, I write it!

I was given this awesome article on heart rate training from my friend Katy. Turns out that all the running I was doing (hours and hours on end!) was having an adverse effect to my weight loss efforts. I was running in my maximum heart rate zone and therefore, over training. Yes, I was burning calories and getting somewhere quickly, but I wasn't burning fat or getting my metabolism to move faster. So now, I am focusing on my heart rate, staying in zones 1 and 2 (no more 4!!) and giving up the importance of speed and distance. It is a whole new way of life for me on the treadmill and outside. Turns out I need to walk a good part of it to keep my heart rate in check.

2. Get all my hair chopped off and color it something fun and sassy!
I've been growing my hair out now for over a year and a half. I've been trying to get to 10 inches for Locks of Love. I've only got 2 inches left to go. But, I am so ready to cut it all now. This heat does nothing to help with all the hair on my head. Before kids, I used to color my hair all shades of brown, red and blond. Not at the same time, but go back and forth throughout the year. Every time I got bored, I'd mix it up with a new color. Oh, how I miss those days. Once I started doing Locks of Love, I stopped coloring it so the hair I donated would be as healthy as possible. I've done Locks of Love once already and will soon be done with donation #2. It feels good to be able to help kids with cancer who need wigs, but I am ready to start having fun with color again and trendy hair styles.

3. Get the big mole on the left side of my face taken off.
Some people call it a beauty mark, but I call it ugly! I've hated all the moles on my face for years and years. If one could have a skin transplant on their face, I'd be the first in line. The problem is, I am very moley person. Not sure why because neither of my parents or sister look like this. At my last skin check with the dermatologist, the dr suggested taking off the mole. I had inquired in past years with other drs about having it removed, but was hesitant with the scar I'd be left with. I've been hoping that with laser technology there would be a way to do it without cutting, but I am done waiting. It is coming off. As the dr put it, whatever scar remains will be easier to cover up than what I have now. I am going for it. I have a feeling that I am going to like the results so much, it will start an obsession with me to keep going. By the time I am done, I could look like I lost a fight with a razor blade. I should just have a t-shirt made that says, "You should see the other person." :)

So there you have it. My 3 goals I am working towards. I am giving myself until Thanksgiving to accomplish the above list. Why Thanksgiving as a deadline? It is when we will be going down to Orlando for Thanksgiving and I always enjoy a good reveal to people who know me best. Plus, Thanksgiving is just far enough away that it gives me enough time to be able to work on these, but not too far away that I lose sight of having to stay focus and keep my eyes on the prize.

I woke up this morning feeling energized and excited about my plan. I think this is just what I need to break me out of the bleh stage I've been feeling. And, I'd like to think that all 3 goals go hand in hand. It's easy enough to do #2 and #3, and never come close to losing the 25 pounds I want to, but I will enjoy the end result so much more by also losing weight.

I will keep you updated on my progress, both good and bad. And, if things go really well, I'll even include before and after pictures. Who knows, I may even be so excited about finally getting to my goal weight, that I could even publish the new number appearing on the scale. Well, maybe I shouldn't get so carried away.

Does it get any better? I think not.

2 comments:

  1. Robyn,

    Thanks for the inspiration! I have been running around kinda the same way and after reading this I realize what I am missing is goals as well! not just short term ones but something that has a bit of time attached to it!

    Thanks sweetie for all your inspiring words you make the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren! I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and comment on it. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete