Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tae Kwon Do(n't)

Many of my mommy friends have praised the benefits of Martial Arts for kids as young as 4 years old. It gives them self-confidence, boosts their self-esteem, helps them focus and aids in discipline. We know a few friends who have been doing Tae Kwon Do for more than a year now and love it. The place everyone raves about is literally across the street from where we live. I know I've mentioned this shopping center a few times before, but it truly does have everything you need!

I asked Ian more than a few times over the past few years if he wanted to try it. Ian said no without hesitation, every single time I asked. Even for beginners, the students meet 3 times a week for an hour each (Mondays @ 5:00pm, Wednesdays @ 5:00pm and Saturdays @ 9:30am) and I felt like it would be a good match for all of Ian's excess energy he has. But, he has to want to do it.

We heard a really great promotion was being offered. For a $5.00 donation to St. Jude's Childrens Research, you get a free uniform and a month's worth of classes. Wowee!! Now this was a deal I couldn't pass up. However, it took Ian's best buddy Ethan also doing it for Ian to want to give it a try.

Together, the boys started out on a Monday. Ian really seemed to enjoy it. He even said when we were going home afterwards, that he will need to practice. That's promising, isn't it? The only problem I saw from that first class was that Ian wouldn't stop talking. I told him before Wednesday's session to try not to say so much and he told me he had all these ideas he needed to tell them about. Ian enjoyed Wednesday's class just as much and got very excited about practicing punches with a real x-ray picture. Saturday's class we weren't able to make because of a prior commitment. Then on Monday, I picked Ian up from a friend's house and helped him change into his uniform. He did so with enthusiasm and was looking forward to going to class.

Somewhere on the 10 minute ride to Tae Kwon Do, something snapped in Ian and he started throwing a huge fit about not wanting to go. It was the strangest thing and I am still not sure why he no longer wants to do it. I told Ian he didn't have to participate in class, but we are still going to go and watch. I didn't want him to think that just because he threw a fit, he could instantly quit. Plus, I had a feeling that when he was watching Ethan in class, he would want to join in.

Oh no, this was not the case at all. I asked Ian why all of a sudden he wanted to stop and he gave the following reasons -

1. He couldn't buckle his own car seat with his uniform on.
2. He would rather be eating dinner during this time.
3. He doesn't like the stretch exercise of touching your toes they do at the beginning.
4. He wants the green belt that Luke has and not the white one they give you.

And there were plenty more, but they made even less sense than the ones listed above.

So, there you have it. Tae Kwon Do is now a Tae Kwon Don't. I do believe Ian gave it a fair shot to see if he would like it. And since he knows what he is missing, I am okay with him saying this isn't for him.

However, I am big-time disappointed as I finally got Sam to understand that she couldn't run on to the floor and join her big brother. And, this was no small feat either!

No comments:

Post a Comment