Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

The case is building

We just had a very nice visit from my mom and stepfather, Jim. The kids adore their grandparents and it was nice taking a break from Sam's screaming and temper tantrums. With Mom-Mom around, it is non-stop laughing you hear. A most welcome and appreciated change.

One of the days they were here, we decided to go to Great Country Farms (in Bluemont, VA) and go peach picking. I've heard great things about Great Country Farms and wanted to check it out. They have a petting farm, putt-putt golf, wagon ride to the orchards, and much more to keep you entertained. It does cost $8.00 a person to enter, but I figured it would be worth it if it occupied our afternoon. I packed us a picnic lunch and we drove the hour it takes to get there.

Once we got there, we decided we'd eat first and then go pick peaches. While Mom and Jim were setting up the picnic, I ventured inside to purchase our passes. I asked the lady at register how the peach picking was today, and she replied back with, "We are not picking peaches today; only jalapeno peppers." WHAT!?!?! No peaches today? It is written all over your Website that peach picking goes until late August. Oh no! The kids aren't going to do well picking peppers (jalapeno ones at that!), and I wouldn't even know what to do with them if we brought some home. Ugh!!

So I proceed back outside to where our picnic was and deliver the bad news. I ask the group if they think it is worth it to still pay the $32 and stay for the other things Great Country Farms has available. I had visions of getting inside and 10 minutes later, Ian and Sam are miserable with how hot it is and want to leave.

I was truly on the fence on leaving after lunch, or making a go of it and seeing how long we could last. I also could see us coming back in the Fall, picking apples or pumpkins and really enjoying being outside in the cooler weather. This place looked awesome!!

At one point, Ian asked me "Momma, what is your opinion on what we should do?" HUH?!?!?! Was this my son asking me what we should do?!?!? Really? And was it too good to be true that he was asking this in front my mom and stepfather? Wowee!!

We ended up deciding we would leave after lunch was over. We realized, we could still check out the pig, rabbit, and roosters that were within our reach. Plus, Jim and Ian wanted to take a walk down to the water. And of course, Mom and I wanted to check out their store. As we were tossing around different ideas, Ian then asks me, "Momma, what do you think the plan should be?" Oh my! It just keeps getting better and better.

What a nice change of pace....Ian asking me what I think we should do, rather than him telling me what to do. I could get used to this. Of course, I still have in the back of my mind that I have an "Eddie Haskell" on my hands. You know, all polite and sweet in front of adults, and then the minute he is out of their earshot, he becomes a little devil.

I laugh when I think that Ian planned this exactly the way he wanted it to go down. Because when I answered him back on what the plan should be, I included stopping for ice cream on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment