Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

This little piggy cried all the way home

We've come far, far, far since Ian was 2 years old and Jeff would have to sit on top of him in order to cut his finger-and toenails. We'd stop all food and liquid an hour beforehand, in case he was going to throw-up from all the screaming and thrashing around. What a nightmare the experience was!

My fabulous friend Molly told me how her mother accomplished this with her son, Laine. She would wait until Laine was asleep and then trim her grandson's nails till her heart's content. I gave it a try with Ian and it has been peaceful trimming ever since.

About a week ago, I was unsuccessful getting to Ian's toenails 2 nights in a row. I managed to get one foot done and then he would squirm and bring his leg up under his body, like he was doing the yoga move "child's pose". It was getting frustrating and on Sunday morning, I asked Ian if I could just please have his other foot and finish the job. Ian, of course, said no and Jeff somehow managed to talk him into it. We gave Ian the iTouch to play and keep his mind off it. I was able to trim the 5 remaining toes without any problems. Ian was exceptional through the experience and didn't even squirm. Yay!

Sam sees me cut Ian's toenails and comes over and gives me her foot to do. It has never been problem doing Sam's toes and fingers. I do her one foot and then she gives me the other foot. I do that foot and then she hands me her hand. After the first hand is done, she gives me to the 2nd hand to do. All the while, she is sitting calmly in my lap and watching tv. When Sam is done, I tell Ian, "See how good Sam is at this. She WANTS me to cut her nails. Obviously it doesn't hurt or else she wouldn't let me do this. Can I please try your fingers now?" Ian agrees and in under 2 minutes, I have both hands done.

I credit Sam with showing her big brother a thing or two. Through her example, Ian was able to see that this is not painful. Go Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment