Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

yeah sure, shipping is free

Ian wanted a watch, so I had him pick one out on Amazon. He found this really cool looking Batman watch. It was only $9.00 and I was excited about the deal we were getting. With just another $16 bought on Amazon.com, I'd be eligible for free shipping. Surely, it makes more sense to spend the $16 on stuff I would get anyway, then to spend $5 in shipping a $9.00 item. Right? Are you with me?

So I discovered that Jillian Michaels has a new kettlebell exercise DVD coming out on September 7th, and Amazon is taking pre-orders. Yay! Yippee! This is perfect and I would've really gotten this DVD no matter what. So I put it in my cart and realize I still need to spend another $6.00 to make it to the $25.00 limit I am trying to obtain. While on the exercise DVD page, I see one that catches me eye. It is a Jackie Warner, Total Body Circuit workout. Perfect! I add this to the cart and proceed to check out. I click on free shipping and await the confirmation in my inbox. Turns out, because I am doing free shipping and Jillian Michael's DVD isn't available until September 7th, Amazon will hold everything and ship it at the same time, set to arrive approx. the 3rd week in September. Oh no! I wanted Ian to be able to get his watch now, not in 6 weeks. So I had an idea.

Why not go into "MY ACCOUNT" section on Amazon's website and modify my order. I'll take Jillian's DVD out of the shipment and add in a different item that is available to ship now. Since I am very much into Heart Rate Training and working out more efficiently, I'll look at these books and see if there is a good guide book to get. I found the most perfect sounding one "Heart Rate Training for the Complete Idiot". So I add this to the cart and do one click checkout. Are you still with me?

Now, all I needed to do was go into the "MY ACCOUNT" section and combine the two orders. I'll take out Jillian's DVD and let that hang in my cart until September when it becomes available. Once I have the other 3 items listed and shown as all being available, I can reclick "free shipping" and get the order in the next 2 days. Yay! Simple, right?

It wasn't letting me combine the orders. Uh-oh!! So I called customer service at Amazon and told them what I was trying to do. The rep said that my first order (it was placed less than an hour before!) was too far into the fulfillment process to stop it and there was nothing I could do. She did offer to cancel my 2nd order (the heart rate training guide for the complete idiot), but I was so intrigued by this book and what it could do for me, I couldn't tell her yes to cancel the order.

So Ian's $9.00 watch, now was costing a total of $15.00 in shipping over two orders. So not what I intended. I was just hoping for free shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment