Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Is she 2 or 42 ?

Samantha has become a bit of a mother-hen these past few months.  She takes great care with her immediate family and makes sure we are doing okay.  You would never know Sam was the youngest one in our family.  Her maternal instincts have kicked in and in her own way, lets us know she's got our back.

At least once, if not twice or three times during the day, Samantha will come up behind me and straighten out my shirt.  She likes to pull it down so it covers my butt and has no visible wrinkles or folds in the material.  At first, I thought I was getting goosed, but then I quickly realized when Sam said, "there you go mommy, there you go. All better now." what she was doing.  She's done this to Jeff too a few times and his initial reaction was to give a little jump in place at the surprise set of hands hitting his back.  I couldn't help but laugh.

Once we were at the table eating dinner and Sam noticed that Ian wasn't eating.  She promptly said, "Please eat Ian, please eat."

When I make myself a cup of tea or open up the oven to grab something I've made, Sam is right there telling me, "Please be careful Mommy.  Please be careful.".  

Last week at dinner, Sam got up out of her seat, came over to Jeff and wiped his mouth. 

Oh, and I should mention that each time Ian is headed to the table to sit down, Sam runs to his chair and pulls it out for him, "Here you go Ian.  Here you go."

The other week I was taking a shower and sure enough, Sam was opening the sliding glass door to our shower and handing me a washcloth.  "Here you go Mommy, here you go."  Then she stood there until she saw I was using it.

My hair is seriously long and I am just about ready to cut off 10 inches for Locks of Love.  Of course with hair this long it is all over the place.  Good thing I've got Samantha coming up to me and taking my hair and pushing it to the back.  All the while she is saying, "Better now Mommy, better now."

After Ian takes his bath, it's Sam who is picking out his pajamas to wear for the night.

Don't even get me started on how helpful Sam is when you are going to the bathroom.  :)

It is really sweet to see Samantha in action.  I had no idea that all these behaviors would come so naturally to her.  As Jeff keeps reminding me, she is a little me.  I just hope she realizes that I am the mommy and she can be the little girl.

1 comment: