Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

More hip than I realized

The other day I was reading The Washington Post's Style section and came across the following article, "Back to prep cool:  Lisa Birnbach updates her preppy guide".   It was a book review on Ms. Birnbach's updated version of her Official Preppy Handbook (written 30 years ago).  At the end of the article, was a summary from the new book that gives a description of what a preppy residence in today's age looks like.  Besides listing an extra-large sized box of goldfish from Costco (check!), the following was also included:

Ashes of ancestral dogs.  Birnback keeps the cremains of her late Yorkie, Archie, in a box. Says Birnbach, "A dead dog is a decorating must." 

Wow, this just cracked me up.  I had to laugh at the thought that Bailey's remains, sitting on top of a wine/shelf cabinet in our dining room makes us 'oh so hip.'   Every now and then something will happen and I get a good chuckle from that lovable dog. I still miss him dearly, but now I feel like he is meant to be hanging out in our dining room (very discreetly, of course) making me feel more in fashion than I realize. 

"...a decorating must."  were the words used.  Huh, I wonder if Nate Berkus and Martha Strewart know about this latest trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment