Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ode to the iTouch

The microwave is in serious jeopardy of losing it's #2 position as the best invention ever.  #1 hands down is air conditioning.  Let's all bow to Willis Carrier on getting this invention off the ground in 1902.  Plenty of time for them to perfect it before I came along in 1971.

The #2 slot was pretty solid with the microwave.  Oh, how this has transformed the way we eat and how quickly we can get food to the table; especially when you have a very hungry, cranky toddler waiting for chicken nuggets.  But since our latest trip to Lancaster and spending hours upon hours in the car driving with a 5 year old and a 2 year old, I do believe I am ready to knock the microwave out of it's #2 position and let the iTouch plant itself as the runner-up for the best invention ever.

How much do I love the iTouch?  Let me count the ways:

1. Much more portable than a portable DVD player.  And, much lighter and less bulkier too.

2. The iTouch can play tv shows (cartoons), movies, games, and a plethora of apps (educational and otherwise).

3. It's easy enough for a two year old to operate. 

4. Once you've bought and downloaded shows/movies/apps to iTunes, you can upload them on as many iTouches as you want.  For example, this is a great advantage when Ian used to watch The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse but is no longer into this show.  Now Sam loves The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  I still have 10 episodes ready to go from when I bought them for Ian 3 years ago.

You also have the ability to load it with Spiderman one week, Superman the next and then decide to remove them both and upload them again later.

5. It keeps kids entertained and parents sane.  Whether it is on a plane, during a long car ride, or waiting in a drs office.

So there you have it.  I am sure there are many, many other reasons as well, but these are the ones that work for me.  I got very lucky in that Amazon sent me our first iTouch by accident and let me keep it.  We bought iTouch #2 when we realized that Sam knew how to work Ian's and wanted to use it too.  Plus, with all the traveling we have had and will have in the coming future, we figured it is probably a matter of time, so why not just get it now?  One of the best decisions ever. 

There aren't many items in our kid's lives that if it were to break, we would replace immediately, no matter what the cost.  The iTouch is one of them. 

We've got some good ground rules in place - Can not be used in a restaurant....EVER.  Can be used in the car as long as where we are going takes an hour or longer to get there.  Can be used on the plane or if we ever travel by train.  Can be used if I am dragging them to a drs appointment for me and I know it will require some kind of wait on the kids' part where there is nothing for them to do.

I always wonder how my parent's generation managed to raise kids without these fabulous electronics.  I guess my sister and I turned out okay.  But I am sure my parents' job would've been a heck-uva lot easier if Apple existed.

Thank you, Steve Jobs.  You are a rockstar!

No comments:

Post a Comment