Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

There's nothing sweeter!

There is something so sweet and innocent about being 3, 4, 5 years old.  I love that Ian warmly greets his friends (both boys and girls) with open arms for great big, bear hugs that envelop their whole body.  And when walking from the playground, to the picnic table, to their bikes, through the mall, to ride the train, or even in the school hallway, they hold each other's hands making their way from point A to point B. 

What a wonderful world we live in that Ian and his friends can express their genuine like for each other and not feel compelled to conform to society's view of how two people should interact.  I am not sure at what age these kids will stop the huge hugs hello, good-bye and openly holding hands, but I hope it continues for a long time.

I no longer remember the process for making new friends.   But I've gotten a glimpse, through Ian, of how 5 year olds make friends.  Each day, I'll ask Ian who he spoke to and if considers them a friend or not.  I find it interesting that Ian can talk to the same kid each day, even sit next to them, but doesn't think of them as an official friend.  There was this one little boy, named James, that Ian spoke about all the time.  I asked Ian if he thought of James as a friend, and Ian said, "No, I haven't asked him yet."   Apparently, another classmate doesn't get the label "friend" until a formal conversation occurs; where one person asks another person if they would like to be friends.  The other day, Ian got in the car after school was over, and had the biggest smile on his face.  He said he is now friends with Olivia M.  I asked him if he said, "Hey Olivia, do you want to be friends?" and Ian replied back to me with, "No, Olivia came up to me and said, "Please, do you want be my friend?."  Ian said he will never say no if someone asks him to be his friend.  He said he wants to have two girlfriends and two boyfriends, but he'll be friends with everyone.

Everyone who knows me, is aware how concerned I was Ian wouldn't have any friends, especially having entered kindergarten not knowing anyone,  I had no idea the rules for making friends, but I like that these kids have a figured out a way to make sure the friendship is mutual.  I don't remember ever getting specifically asked or me asking anyone if they wanted to be friends, but I like this updated 2010 approach.  It lets you know instantly where you stand with the other person.  And, it makes me feel better that Ian has confirmation on the friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment