Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Kindergarten Blues

Sam is not enjoying going to school.  She doesn't like getting dressed for school.  And, she doesn't like wanting to eat breakfast before school.  I can't do her hair for school or tell her to brush her teeth for school.  And, let's not forget, I can't mention school is about to happen. 

Sam has told me that she doesn't want homework.  She doesn't want to make new friends.  And she doesn't want to be in school for "soooooo long".  She doesn't want to eat the cafeteria food EVER.  She doesn't want to color in class or learn new things.  And she doesn't want to leave my side.  Her list of reasons to not go to kindergarten grows daily.

Not a happy camper walking to get on the bus.
I love how she has perfected the "I'm going to be sick" look.

It was not a fun first week.  We celebrated Rosh Hashanah on Thursday.  Any momentum we achieved on Tuesday and Wednesday, came to a screeching halt when the kids were out of school for the High Holiday.  Friday was back to the tears and refusal to cooperate.  I have no idea what happens when Samantha makes it to school.  When I say good-bye to her in the morning at the bus stop, I hope for the best that she will get on the bus and not cause a scene.  When I pick her up in the afternoon, she tells me she had a great day.  She is all smiles and even acknowledges that school will continue the next day.  So go figure...I've always claimed its like parenting Jekyll and Hyde.

Friday afternoon, I couldn't take the suspense any longer and stopped in her classroom to ask the teacher how Samantha was doing.  Was she an active participant?  Or was she off by the side holding back the tears all day long?  Was Sam interacting with the other students?  Or was she ignoring the other kids in her class who might be trying to have a conversation with her? 

Mrs. J. said that Sam is doing well.  She is listening and was actually used as the example earlier in the day to the other students on how to sit in the circle (criss-cross applesauce....that's my girl!).  Furthermore, she pointed out she is not in distress and hasn't been crying.  Whew!  That's a relief.

Every morning I struggle with getting Samantha ready for school, it's all for show.  How great for me.  It's going to be a long 12 years.  I try to look at the bright side and cling to the fact that she can go to the bathroom like all the other kids.  I never thought I would survive that, so I know I can survive this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment