Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sam and school.

This past Monday, starting off the 2nd week of school:

Sam wakes up.  I catch her before she comes downstairs.

Me:  Sam, let's get you dressed while you are still up here.
Sam:  What do I have today?
Me:  It's school.
Sam:  AW!  Not again!!

Yep.  Better get used to it.  :)

On Tuesday, we had our best day yet.  She didn't utter one word about not wanting to go.  She happily got dressed, eagerly brushed her teeth, and with a smile on her face made her way to the bus.  I was so excited and optimistically hoped we were out of the woods.

Wednesday, however, brought on real tears.  It started as the bus pulled up to the curb.  She looked at me and said she didn't want to go to school.  I told her it was not optional and she had to go.  She was the first one on the bus (kindergartners get on first), but was not pleased about climbing onboard.  The bus driver looked at Sam and asked her what was wrong.  I am thinking to myself:  Don't slow her down!  She is walking up the steps, let her continue.  Asking her what is wrong is like opening Pandora's box...not a wise move.  Sam mumbled something and kept going.  Once seated, she looked out the window.  I was standing there making funny faces getting her to smile. Eventually the bus pulled away and Sam was on her way.

Later that afternoon, I had a surprising turn of events and The Crazy Man called me at 12:30pm and said he wasn't feeling well.  He asked me not to come work for him.  I decided to take a chance and surprise Sam at school for lunch.  My only concern was that she would have a hard time saying good-bye to me again when her lunch period was over.  Fortunately, all went well and Sam loved seeing me.  She was completely okay with me leaving her side 35 minutes later.  Sam had no issues giving me a hug and lining up with her class.  Whew!  It was the right thing to do going to see her.  It made my day and I am pretty sure it made hers too.  As a bonus,  I was able to get there 15 minutes early and find Ian in the cafeteria.  Oh, how I love to surprise him too!  He never knows when I am going to show up.  It's pretty fabulous -- probably more for me, than for him.  :)

Sam and I having lunch together at school.
It's funny watching the kids at Sam's table eat lunch.  None of them speak to each other.  They just all sit there and silently eat.  Meanwhile, the rest of the cafeteria is loud enough to burst an ear drum or two.  I attempted conversation with all of Sam's classmates sitting directly around us, but none of them were talkers. It will be interesting to see when these kids start to come out of their shells.

Seeing Sam's face light up when she spotted me at lunch was definitely the bright spot of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment