Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Coffee Talk

About a month ago during one of our many snow days from school while I was out to lunch with the kids, I ran into a mommy friend that I first met when Ian was a baby.  Once her little boy and mine got old enough for preschool, we naturally went on different paths and didn't really talk as much. We had traded emails sporadically, but that was the extent of our friendship.

We decided it would be nice to get together for coffee once school was back in session and we were sans kids for few hours.  This past Friday was our date to meet at Panera Bread for coffee.  I got there about 10 minutes early, got a cup of hot tea and found a table.  This particular Panera location has their tables really close together and my table for 2 was near the really big table that a Panera Bread always has available.  Seated at the big table were 3 women who had to be in their mid-seventies.  They were chatting a mile a minute.  These women were so full of life and were pretty much finishing each other's sentences.  After listening to their conversation for 5 minutes (really, it couldn't be helped!), I had to chime in.  I HAD to!!  It was killing me to keep my mouth shut. 

Me:  Sorry to eavesdrop, but I've been watching for 37 years, since I was 5 years old.   I totally agree with you, the character of Sonny couldn't be played by anyone else.

THESE WOMEN WERE TALKING ABOUT GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!!!

We started chatting and I instantly fell in love with these women.  They were the coolest!  To hear them talk about this soap opera reminded me that I am not alone in my love of the show.  We are a dying breed!

When my friend arrived, she sat down and told me these women are always there.  Every time she's been there, these women are sitting at the same table and having the same conversation about General Hospital.  How cool is that!?!? 

Once I've retired from all my jobs and have more time on my hands, I aspire to be one of these women.  A regular coffee meet-up to discuss General Hospital or whatever the latest show is my idea of a great reason to hang-out with friends. I wonder if these women will still be around then?

On a side note, it was really great catching up with my friend.  We filled each other in on our kids, what's new, our Summer plans and more.  I told my friend about Sam and my latest challenges with her.  It's been more intense than usual and we are really going through a difficult time.  Once I got done giving her the 5 minute version, she just looked at me and said, "Wow, you don't even look haggard.  You always have a smile on your face."   All I could answer her with was, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  What else can I do?  I can't give up.  I've got to keep trying."

No comments:

Post a Comment